seachem Flourish Excel Overdose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
On Sunday 2/2/14 I realized I overdosed my Tank with Seachem's Flourish Excel in my 125 gallon, planted tank. During my adventure I figured I would take some notes in order to educate anyone in the future who has the misfortune of this event.

-In no way do I want to bash of slander Seachem or their products. I am very happy with their products and if I fallowed directions and was more careful I would not be in this situation.-

How did I OD my tank:
I hooked a Tom Aqua Lifter AW-20 Vacuum Pump on a digital timer. I had one end of the pump in a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel and the outlet in my 125. The timer was set to run for six minutes, with the amount of head and the length of hose turned out to deliver est. 10 ml of liquid to the tank. I worked out this equation over a course of a week. When I was ready to set the timer to come on 45 minutes after my HO lights and dose the 10 ml for six minutes daily I changed the timer but I set the timer to run for twelve hours and six minutes. Needless to say the bottle emptied and the pump continued to run until I turned it off.
My best guess of the amount of liquid dumped in my 125 was anywhere from 10ml to 300ml.

Effects on the fish observed during Excel OD:
*dead fish
*patches of scales that were pale(ammonia burn),
*eyes cloudy,
*fins were clamped,
*fins were tethered,
*chaotic swimming,
*lethargic
Effects on the tank observed during Excel OD:
*film on water surface,
*cloudiness,
*adverse effects on biological filtration(destroys BB),
*algae blooms(multiple colors),
*plant melting

Recommended steps to fix the issue:
*At least 75% water change within the first 12 hours,
*continued large w/c for the next 24 hours(replace it as fast as you can condition it),
*limit the amount of light,
*add activated carbon to the filtration,
*be aware of Chlorine and Chloramines,
*have a good amount of beneficial bacteria on hand,
*treat tank with antibacterial remedy to heal open wounds & abrasions and something to promote regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. I recommend Melafix 5%.

These steps have not been proven as of yet. I have lost a total of six fish, and the plants are TBA. I wanted to get this information out there dealing with a large excel OD. When I did my searches all I found was BBA treatment, and OD in a couple ml cases.

Here are some links:
http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...hem-excel.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/...hExcel.doc.pdf

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thanks for posting to alert everyone to the dangers of this product. If anyone reads my posts, they will know that I never recommend using Excel (or API's CO2 Booster which is the same chemical). The reasons are clearly outlined in the first article you linked.

I too have a very high regard for Seachem. I have corresponded with them on various issues, and I use some of their products as my preferred ones. But not Excel, ever. Even when dosed according to directions, some plants will die outright; Vallisneria seems especially sensitive to this, and some mosses and others. Any chemical that is used in antifreeze, embalming fluid and hospitals to disinfect medical instruments does not belong in an aquarium. Just my opinion.

Thanks again.
Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you, but you could also say, if anything we add to our tanks is accidentally overdosed, you're going to have major issues or deaths. Doesn't matter if it's fish food or CO2 gas. Too much CO2 gas added at once could be an asphyxiant.

Huge high dollar corps like Mars, Seachem, etc are not going to assume the risk of selling lethal products when used as directed or even somewhat over what is recommended.

FWIW, I'm an active member over at oscarfish as well. I wouldn't consider them a source for planted tank advice. Oscars and plants? SURE!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would have to point out that there is a big difference between products that are relatively safe, and those that are otherwise. The advice in that link is accurate; I have seen the federal reports on this chemical, and it is dangerous. If it comes into contact with skin it can burn; fumes inhaled are toxic to humans.

Water conditioners and other plant fertilizers that are simply minerals can cause problems if overdosed, true; but they do not contain hazardous chemicals in the first place. They will not burn your skin, nor affect your eyes and lungs. And I cannot fathom why anyone would want to add embalming fluid or antifreeze components to their aquarium. This doesn't make any sense at all.

And when such a product isn't even necessary in the first place, that is a risk that is not wise to take.

Byron.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
this is an interesting issue. My first planted aquarium was all natural except for epoxy gravel and injected diy co2. I used ferts but they were home made organic. My filter was a bed of cinder with mangrove growing out to soak up extra salts and nutrients. This tank worked very well but it looked very el natural and at the same time had no theme and no pop. This time around I went all out and bought seachem's whole line macro, trace, iron and excel. I have been using this line of product in addition to compressed co2 to acheive that un naturally natural look aquascapes are known for. But after reading this information I may reconsider my co2 liquid additives.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you have tanks in your home, the risk is always there for a dangerous contaminant to get in your tank. Just a drop of a cleaner or spray from a spilled/dropped container for an example.

The issue here is the OP dosed Excel by ~25x the recommended amount! (jlennon- not attacking you!! This was an accident that could happen to anyone).

Based on this, I don't think it's fair to attack a product that people use, have great results with, and no issues at all. It's a viable and WELL proven aquaria carbon source that's been on the market a long time. Is it the best? Obviously not.

FWIW, I have nothing to do with Seachem, API, etc, nor do I use Excel, or API's liquid CO2 specifically.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
If you have tanks in your home, the risk is always there for a dangerous contaminant to get in your tank. Just a drop of a cleaner or spray from a spilled/dropped container for an example.

The issue here is the OP dosed Excel by ~25x the recommended amount! (jlennon- not attacking you!! This was an accident that could happen to anyone).

Based on this, I don't think it's fair to attack a product that people use, have great results with, and no issues at all. It's a viable and WELL proven aquaria carbon source that's been on the market a long time. Is it the best? Obviously not.

FWIW, I have nothing to do with Seachem, API, etc, nor do I use Excel, or API's liquid CO2 specifically.
Well FreshyFresh I feel attacked!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
LOL!

I hope everything is settling out for you.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive noticed this as well on some of my duckweed actually. I used to grow alot in my 10gal betta tank but once i started dosing CO2 for the duckweed it just dwindled away. Now, i only once a week and thats on my larger tank. Thanks for all the links !

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store