Nano Planted Tank (around 7 gallons) Strange rhombus shaped tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Hey guys,

As I have stated in my other thread I have been keeping fish for a few years, but have only really had planted community tanks. I picked up a 7 gallon tank in malaysia (30 ringitt or ten dollars- precisely why I lugged it all the way here) and had it set up at my old house with a few white clouds and pygmy cories.

Part of the issue I'm having is the shape of the tank- it did not come with a light and a standard hood just isn't going to fit. I could build myself a custom lid but would still have to face the problem of finding a fluorescent hood light that is less than 12", and at the moment I also do not have the time or the funds to do so. So I came up with some alternatives:
A) Fluorescent light that clips on to the side of the tank, perhaps 7-10W
B) Gooseneck fluorescent desk lamp appropriately positioned above the hole in the lid (lid is a thin hard plastic sheet with a hole in it)
C) Screw the plants and go with a submersible LED and fake plants

So this tank has been running for a couple of weeks- I did a water change at the end of the first and second weeks.
I realize I still have a week or two to go before it is fully cycled but wanted to get some information so I know what I can and can't do with it.

Specs:
7 Gallon tank (looks like half a hexagon from the top)
Tetra Whisper 10i internal filter
25 watt heater
Topfin mini air pump and airstone

I was thinking of a densely planted tank with some nano-rasboras, preferably Pheonix or chilli rasboras (between 5 and 6) and maybe 3-4 pygmy corydoras.

Any opinions or advice are welcome

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Did a bit more research and the pygmy cories are better suited for the 20g i have set up because they are top half fish. strange, they seemed perfectly happy in a well filtered and frequently changed 7g, lived long enough for me to have to find them a new home (due to moving)
So I am considering 2 dwarf otocinclus instead of 3-4 pygmy cories, will this tank support them? I plan to change the water by 25% every four days

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
sorry to triple post but adding pictures and water quality
One picture of the top so you can see for yourself how strange the shape is (more a trapezium than anything) hence the difficulty in finding an adequate light

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 5 and 10ppm (not quite dusky orange on the API master test)
pH: 7.6 or above, will run one when I get home from class

7G 1 TV.jpg7G 1 FV.jpg

The water is still cloudy, probably from some bits of food left from when I threw in some flakes to kickstart the bacteria. Will do a 25% water change during which I'll clean the gravel very thoroughly and see if that fixes the problem.

7G 1 TV.jpg 7G 1 FV.jpg

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
This is a very cool tank and I also would have lugged it all the way back from Malaysia. For a top, I think your best bet would be to get a custom piece of glass cut, or go and cut one yourself, and what is the maximum length for a light you could buy.?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
This is a very cool tank and I also would have lugged it all the way back from Malaysia. For a top, I think your best bet would be to get a custom piece of glass cut, or go and cut one yourself, and what is the maximum length for a light you could buy.?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I measured the straight edge and apparently I could manage a standard 12" light, not until I get a proper hood for it though- that plastic warps when placed too close to a candle, putting a hot light on it is a no-go. I'll go and ask at my local home depot if they can custom cut some tempered glass for me. This is proving to be an expensive couple of weeks! :O

Will be so worth it when they are finally set up though, so psyched!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally I wouldn't bother with a top and just make sure I kept the water level topped off (and didn't get jumpy fish)

maybe lighting-wise I'd look at clip on LED lights, something like http://www.finnex.net/index.php/cliplights

you should be able to find something that will work for you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pretty cool for $10 Kumar.

I agree that topless would be easiest, unless you could source a piece of plexiglass or plastic lighting diffuser to cut to shape.

A clamp-on utility light with a cone shaped aluminum diffuser, fitted with a plant appropriate CFL lamp would be a great option. Might be able to clamp it right to the back of this tank, thus further eliminating the need for a top.

That whisper internal filter takes up a lot of valuable space in there unfortunately.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Pretty cool for $10 Kumar.

I agree that topless would be easiest, unless you could source a piece of plexiglass or plastic lighting diffuser to cut to shape.

A clamp-on utility light with a cone shaped aluminum diffuser, fitted with a plant appropriate CFL lamp would be a great option. Might be able to clamp it right to the back of this tank, thus further eliminating the need for a top.

That whisper internal filter takes up a lot of valuable space in there unfortunately.
I was astonished when I saw the size, but I'm a chronic insomiac and the slightest amount of noise tends to keep me awake/wake me up. I have a penguin mini but it doesn't work so well, its more of a trickle than an actual flow- really irritates me and prevents me from sleeping

Mini rasboras, by the description should be okay in a small school- I'm assuming they can turn as fast as tetras and also enjoy playing in a good current (provided by both the filter and the airstone) and can do laps without becoming too unhappy

Otos may be out, because they need an established algae supply- I'd like a scarlet badis but it'll definitely kill my rasboras (assuming I can get any) given the very similar colouring and size

perhaps a sparkling gourami or two?

also: I saw a 20W sump clip on light on big al's, if I modified the clip would it be sufficient for plant growth when placed 2-3" from the water?

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would think a 20w CFL, as long as it's a lamp intended for plants would be great for this ~7g tank.

I hear you on sleep issues! I've done rotating 12hr shifts for 17yrs now. I can rarely stay asleep for more than 2hrs solid. For years I needed some type of 'white noise' to sleep. I somewhat recently found I do better with ear plugs in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store