Stocking the 40g ram tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RoadToSwole

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2014
Currently in the process of finishing up cycling my 40 gallon tank. Going to be planting it heavily and getting a pair of electric blue rams and a pair of german blue rams. Also want to put in a school of cardinals, sterbai corys and maybe a few otos. <br />
Any suggestions on what numbers of the otos, cardinals and sterbai corys would work best?<br />
THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Atleast 6 of each. I'd also hold off until the tanks been cycled and planted for atleast a month or two before adding the oto's.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would increase the cardinals to 9-10. Corys at 6 is fine. Otos, I would not have more than 3-4, and the prior advice to hold off on these is well founded. If there is some algae and biofilm on the plants the otos will be more likely of settling in and living. Don't know your reason for otos, but if it is primarily algae, I would leave them out here. Rams and cardinals need dim light, and you won't have much algae issues. Floating plants are needed too.

Make sure the rams are bonded as a pair; any male/female does not always work. I myself would not have two pairs in this sized tank, but having said that it may be possible with heavy planting and lots of bogwood.

BTW, if raising fry is intended, you probably won't with corys unless you remove the eggs/fry early on. The eggs and fry are very unprotected during darkness, and corys are nocturnal.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store