QT tank stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I was planning on buying a lot of fish at petcos upcoming sale on the 22nd, and was wondering how many fish I could qt in a barebones 10g tank. Probobly getting giant danios, pictus catfish and tiger barbs, and have 2 10g tanks to work with. They're going into my 125 eventually, but with such a large influx of fish I want to make sure they're not going to kill off everyone.

I'm considering getting a couple pictus, 5-10 GD's, and 5-10 tiger barbs depending on their size. Filtration is going to be interesting because all of my filters would turn the tank into a whirlpool except for a few aqueon 20s I have laying around. Definitely can get daily water changes if needed though.

Do you think I would be able to swing this in 1 or 2 10 gallons? How long should I QT for? I usually just left the fish in QT tanks for a month but that might not be ok given the stocking.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like a lot of fish for such small tanks. How do you plan on cycling them quickly? I see some DIY sponge filters in your future. Come on... you know you bought some airstones you never really needed when you first got started :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My plan was to run the filters on my 125 for a little bit, or maybe stuff the media into my canister filter for a week or so. The diy sponge filters are tempting, but it's a rabbit hole I dont want to go down, especially when this is (hopefully) the last fish the tank will see for a few years. Dont want to put time into a tank thats just going to be taken down afterwards

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
The 125 has been running as is for months aside from water changes, and has been cycled for a year or two. The 10 gallons aren't cycled yet, planning on starting that today.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
My plan was to run the filters on my 125 for a little bit, or maybe stuff the media into my canister filter for a week or so. The diy sponge filters are tempting, but it's a rabbit hole I dont want to go down, especially when this is (hopefully) the last fish the tank will see for a few years. Dont want to put time into a tank thats just going to be taken down afterwards
this idea will work fine ,.. you don't need a fully mature media, you simply need one that has the bacteria culture on it.
introduce the filter media the day you add fish and monitor the qt.
the bacteria culture will multiply rapidly ..but you do need to make sure to keep the parameters within safe guidlines.. as with fish too much ammonia can kill the bacteria as well(this is in part what happens when a cycle stalls)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
thanks for the help guys, stuffed some of the media for the filters into my canister on the 125, can't wait for this weekend :FIREdevil:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Well despite setting up the qt I ended up missing the sale. On the bright side I can let the filter media for the tank collect more BB in my canister. Im considering leaving media for the qt tank in my canister at all times, that way I can just pop it out when needed. Seems relatively straightforward to me, just wanted to double check with y'all in case its a really bad idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store