Old Betta, Should I Euthanize?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hello, this is Rachael, Jennie Beth's daughter.
I have had my betta Pepé since last April, and he's not doing too well. We think he's just an old fish. He is blind in one eye and appears to have a tumor under it. He struggles to the surface to get air and takes several frantic breaths when he gets there, and he gets confused when he runs into the few leaves on the surface. He's been hanging around the bottom for a while now, but about a week ago he started laying on his side with his fins clamped.
Here's a picture.
image.jpg
The thing under his eye is on the side away from the glass, but a little bit is visible in the picture. We know it is not pop eye because we keep the water clean, and his eye isn't popped away from his head, it appears to just be a growth under his eye. He has been eating and pooping normally, although he often has trouble finding his pellets he does eventually eat them.
We bought some clove oil today and have looked up the proper dosages for euthanization, but don't know if it's too soon or what we should do. Pepé obviously isn't feeling well and I don't want him to suffer...
What do you think?

Thank You,
Rachael

image.jpg

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I can see the growth your talking about. Pepe is a cute betta but its sad to see him suffer. I would rather put him out of misery than watch him suffer, personally. May i ask, do you know how old the little fella is or was he in a betta cup and you bought him?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Pepé came to us from a large chain pet store, in a betta cup, last April. Don't know his actual age, but he seemed to get an 'old man' face the last few months. Hard to describe, but his lip lines got heavier, face got older looking, he didn't spend near as much time racing thru the filter flow. He just looks like a little old man now...

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Was anything introduced into the tank before that growth was noticeable? I would think it's not really old if you bought it last April.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store