How many algae eating species for 65gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
My 65g has one large angel, 8 harlequin rasboras, 4 cory's, 4 platy's, 1 dwarf gourami.
I have 4 oto's in a 10g quarantine tank that will be ready for the big tank in a week but they are not doing a great job on the algae in there like a BN does. I traded off a BN I had in this tank due to aggression in the 65g. I have another BN in my 75g and he is a model citizen.

For the 65g what number of nerite snails or shrimp would be recommended to go with the oto's for good control?
I don't want too many and want enough algae to go around.

Can I supplement algae waffers for these 3 species if they totally consume the existing algae?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It's tough to say... It really depends on what kind of algae you are talking about. Is this a planted tank? Otos tend to like soft surface films only. Different shrimp are better at eating different kinds of algae. The angels would live some little shrimp snacks, so the temperament of your angels and other fish will make a difference too. Amanos are bigger, so they stand a better chance, but they may end up being harassed to death, so it's still a risk. Snails are a great choice, generally speaking, but again it depends on the algae. Just don't expect perfection from any algae eating crew.

Algae wafers are a fine food to feed algae eaters... they will be appreciated no matter the crew mix.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^word for word what I'd have said. I use carni sticks for my loaches and 8" hifin pleco, but still drop in 5 algae thins to make sure everyone gets a well rounded diet. Nerites are super fun to watch and help with algae, just don't buy fish that eat snails.

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
My large 5 year old female angel does not even go after baby platys so I think the Amano shrimp would be safe. The Dwarf G seems more aggressive towards other fish.

The tank has lot's of driftwood and a forest of tall, medium and short plastic plants. The single NB I had did a great job on his own on the glass and other big surfaces but not the plants so much. So, I'll have 4 Oto's but wonder how many snails and or A. Shrimp I'll need to stay ahead of the algae and do the job that the single BN did. 4 of each? The thing I really want is something to keep the plastic plants clear; something the BN did not do well.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Otos are pretty good about cleaning plants, but I have never once seen an oto on the glass. It's probably going to take a team of nerites to keep the glass clean. 10-12, I'd say. Amanos are very active and don't seem picky about surfaces IME. You can probably get along with 4 since you have the 4 otos too. That's a big tank... you sure you don't want some live plants in there? Of course I plant EVERY tank, so you might have to ignore me haha!

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
The 4 Otos are all over the glass. I left most of the algae there when I introduced them. I'll add some N. snails and see how it goes.

Zorro, thanks for the advice. As for live plants, I've researched the requirements and my Marine Land led fixture is not bright enough for such a deep tank but more importantly my well water is over 8 in alkalinity and very hard. I've thought of doing a planted 10g tank with CO2 and proper substrate just for an experiment but there's still my lousy water and I'm not going to do RO or distilled. I could do rain water or snow melt but not sure I want to spend that much time. My free time is limited.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like opportunistic Otos... that or mine can't beat the CAEs and snails to the glass.

8 in alkalinity isn't a big deal for plants. That's almost what mine is out of the tap. I have a wide variety of fish and plants. Hardness would limit you a little, BUT the plants would also remove some of the minerals that cause hardness taking it up as nutrients. There is a correlation between hardness and pH... lower one; the other will follow and vice versa. So in concept you could tame your water with plants provided that you don't have other problems like some do with nitrates straight out of the tap. Most common valisnerias, dwarf sag, mosses, water wisteria, frogbit, java fern, and a bunch of hardy stem plants will all do fine IME. Think local lake... if it will grow there, it will likely grow in your well water. If it wasn't so dang cold, I'd send you some freebies to try out, but they would not appreciate that journey right now, and you would get a box full of mush! Think about it, and hit me up when it warms up :)

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Hey Swan,

I am an Engineer. Whenever an unexpected problem arises, I do what is called Root Cause Analysis. Yes you can get some algae eaters to make your tank look better, but what happens when they multiply, or grow larger? Then Your bio load could increase and you may, or may not be in the same boat again. Then it can turn into a viscous cycle.

I am (and usually am) with zorro on this. If you had plants in the tank that would eat the nutrients necessary for the algae, then this wouldn't be an issue. Marimo moss balls are cool and require almost no care. Just a thought.

On another note, I keep cherry shrimp. They do a great job cleaning the tank. All except the algae. They pick at it, and like algae wafers, they just don't like to clean anything that i want them to clean as well as i would like. I cannot speak for Amano's as I've never kept them however.

Hope this has helped

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the offer of plants Zorro!
Just a quick note on the 4 Otto's I added to the 65g. They are doing a great job of eliminating the algae already and it's very noticable. I left the side glass moderatly heavy with green/brown algae and it's almost clear now after 3 days. I have some horizontal slate type rocks that have a thin layer of brown algae and you can obviously tell where they have cleaned there. These guys like to school together and are mostly on the glass and occasionally on the leaf surfaces. I'm going to wait and see if any other algae eaters are needed. I have a feeling I'm going to have to supplement with algae wafers before long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store