Emersed growing questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I am on the verge of setting up a 20L with Eco complete and sand. I plan to use a substrate heater when the tank is filled and running. I ran across a thread by Tom Barr on starting carpet or small/ low growing plants in the tank but only with water just below the top of the substrate line for better results.

My question is should I run the substrate heater while I wait for the plants to grow?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would like to see/read that thread. but plants (like fish) are tropical and need the warmth.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Tanker I will hunt that link down, but just for you. No one else can read it. Brb!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Jay thanks for the input, but I have done just that already. I could not find anything on whether or not to run the sub. heater.

63 views and 4 replies of which I am 2, HAHA!!!! OK I get it, this is not common knowledge and I will need to consult the source directly....(teleport warms up....Bbbaaazzziiiinnngggaaa! and now I is all but gone from this thread...)

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
It isnt that its not common practice, but it does depend on what plant you are trying to grow, how effective this method is...

One problem i've heard about dry start is, once you have a carpet and fill the tank, there is a chance the carpet could melt back, and need time regrow as a fully submerged plant...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well with regard to the heater thing I can't imagine there's a huge need for it unless room temperature is extremely cold. Since it is a dry start you can count out submersible or inline heaters and for as long as I've been in the hobby at least in practice those are the most common. I've only read humidity being an important factor. If you think not running it is a risk use the heater.

We did have a member in our club do a dry start of HC in his 40g breeder when he flooded it there was no mention of the HC melting, so I don't if that's something that happens to HC. (I like to know the answer to that?)

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
The trick to keeping a DSM carpet from melting is having enough CO2 for it. It is grown used to having an unlimited supply of CO2, then you flood it and it has access to way less unless you supplement...

My emersed setups all do fine in my basement with no heaters. If it's cold, their growth with slow down, but if you keep it covered so humidity is high and the room temperature is normal, you wouldn't need it.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Not even a giggle...(sigh)

Thanks qwe123, that was the question I was wanting answered.

Fat Homer, no worries amigo! I have done a decent amount of reading on doing it this way and have full confidence that something will happen when I do it. I've never heard of anyone trying the plant I am going to do though, so it may melt.

JAY973, I am kind of confused as to why you are bringing up inline or submersible heaters? I was asking about a substrate heater, Hydor Hydrokable, it is a rope style that goes under the substrate. Here is a quote you might find useful.
Why They Work
Dupla, in their "10 Golden Rules for the Optimum Aquarium" says this: "the heating cable (on the bed of the aquarium) integrates the entire bed soil into the chemical and physical cycle of the aquarium by means of the upward current of water caused by it." They liken this to natural streams that are fed by ground water welling up through the substrate. The ground water brings nutrients with it, feeding the plant roots, and carries away plant waste material produced by the roots.
But it is important to note that when we use substrate heating, we are not trying to copy nature. We are just trying to achieve the same effects in the substrate.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Why They Work
Dupla, in their "10 Golden Rules for the Optimum Aquarium" says this: "the heating cable (on the bed of the aquarium) integrates the entire bed soil into the chemical and physical cycle of the aquarium by means of the upward current of water caused by it." They liken this to natural streams that are fed by ground water welling up through the substrate. The ground water brings nutrients with it, feeding the plant roots, and carries away plant waste material produced by the roots.
But it is important to note that when we use substrate heating, we are not trying to copy nature. We are just trying to achieve the same effects in the substrate.
I know what YOU'VE been reading! I bought that old book myself not too long ago. You may be wasting your time with heating cables according to the guys that told me to check that book out. It is full of great information, and it's even funny, but it was originally a book disguised as a sales pitch for "Dupla" products. I'll try to dig up the feed for you, but I remember that we all had a discussion about heating cables and why they were more trouble than they are worth. It's an evolution from the old candle under the tank trick before submersible heaters in EARLY aquarium keeping practices. Unless you already bought it, I'd consider skipping on that old technology.

The thread:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...6-Planted-Tank-Total-Rearrange-Pitfalls/page4

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store