Setting up a shrimp tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I am planning to pull out my 1.77 gallon tank for my shrimp. I am curious how many this will hold, I also do not have a filter for it currently, will this matter with such a little tank? I am pulling gravel from an established tank for them. They are red cherries and everything seems straight forward i am just worried the little ones will get eaten in their current tank

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
RCS are very small, so you can hold quite a few in a tank that small, BUT they are also very prolific. When they decide to re-populate your tank, the numbers could grow exponentially depending on M/F ratio. That's when you might have to upgrade the tank or re-home some. Having no filter isn't a huge deal in such a small tank, just keep up with water changes or it could quickly go to Hell in a hand basket. I would suggest a small pre-set heater though... they don't particularly like being cold, though cooler temps reduces their desire to breed, so that could actually work out for you okay.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have a heater for a 5 gallon I will be using ... Not preset as it was for my betta. I do not mind how quickly they breed, I have plenty of fish who will gladly eat them if it becomes a problem.

would 75 be ok for them? temp wise

and how much and how often should I do water changes?

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
75 is a good temperature for them. And water changes in a tank that small with no filter should be done once every two or three days... if not more. You should a tetra whisper 1-3i filter. Around twelve bucks and then you could minimize water changes to once every 3 days. And if you don't have twelve bucks, there's diy filters you can make with a bottle, some sponges and an air pump :) I wish you luck!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I will just get a sponge and air pump ... As soon as I have a free outlet LOL

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Make sure you replace any evaporated water with RO or distilled water. I learned the hard way that parameters can change dramatically in small tanks without RO water. The PH will rise a little, but the problem is that the TDS, GH, and KH can build up until the shrimp cannot survive. This is especially a problem if you have hard water.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Top off water in a small tank doesn't really take much. You could buy a couple gallons of distilled water and be fine for probably a month or so. xD

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I will get some next time I go out. But isnt it fine as long as I just do water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store