Canister filter for 55 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
A friend of mine gave me a 55 gallon tank!! The filter that came with it was really noisy so bought another...a whisperer I think (same one I have on my 20 gallon) but it was pretty noisy too. Brought that one back and bought an AC70 which is quieter but the tank is in my room...just a loud hum going on now. Will that ever quiet down? I'm going to take it apart when I get home and see if there is anything I can do with it. I've heard canister filters are very quiet and do a very good job but a friend of mine says his breaks all the time and cannot buy just parts for it...expensive to replace. I've never read about them breaking easily...suggestions?
Thanks!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you'll get mixed results with any filter.

usually the noise from an AC HOB is the lid.. it can rattle a little. I have several AC HOB filters and they are very dependable and easy to clean.
I run several Canister filters all of them are cheapie filters like catalina filter( get them on sale for around $50) to sunsun's they are actually pretty good.. I have a catalina that has been running since March of 2009.. it is still giving me 0 issues..but cleaning is more of a longer drawn out process.
flip side you don't need to clean them often.

the newer sunsun 302 as well as the catalina 1000 has a quick hose detach as well as the sunsun.
however they do not come with much media ,, save for filter mats

I forgot to mention.. all of the canister filters I have are silent..I usually have to check the output to make sure the flow is good. ;)

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Without knowing the intended fish species, and whether plants are intended too, it is hard to say exactly what filtration you may need. But for most uses, a good canister would be my choice. I have two Eheim Professionel II canisters (one has the heating unit built in) that have been running continuously since 1996 with no issues and they are dead silent. I bought a Rena Filstar XP3 for my 115g three years ago. I don't think I can expect such long service from it as the Eheim, but it has performed fine so far. The Eheim are faster to clean. I personally don't like HOB filters. I have internal sponge filters on my smaller tanks and canisters on the 4-foot and larger tanks.

Byron.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I vote for a canister filter also. I have an Odessea, a SunSun, and 2 Fluvals, all quiet. The only issues I've had were with the Odessea but I've had it the longest and it's a knock-off of a knock-off. The SunSun is a great filter for the price, $50. Fluvals are high end but look around for older models, I found a 305 for less than $50 and 105 for $30 because of the new '06 line. Haven't replaced so much as an "O" ring after years of service. Media can be added to suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Might try lubing up the shaft of the impellar on the AC if the sound appears to be coming from the motor area. I have an AC110 and 2 AC70's running all with in 10 feet of me right now only noise coming from any of them I hear right now is the output from one tank who's water level I've let drop some.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry all, but I love the Magnum filters. IMO, easy to clean and use.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't think you're going to find a silent HOB. I've tried a bunch and have all aquaclears now. Two AC30's, an AC70 and an AC110. They are not silent, but not noisy (to me) either. They do make lots of splashing noises if the water level drops and make a mess of the underside of your glass covers, etc.

I do have a Sunsun 302 (and an AC70) on my 55. The only way you can tell the SunSun is running is by putting your hand on it. It's absolutely silent. It's not enough flow rate though for a 55 if your stock level is up.

Like said, they pluses with canisters are, they have HUGE media surface area so filtration is excellent. They are silent and don't splash or stir up the water badly, nor do they need media cleaning often. Cons are they are kind of a chore to clean/change media on. They're big and ugly if you have an open style stand too.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I run 2 AC 70s on my 55 right now but used to run a Rena 3 & AC 70. Like Freshy said, HOBs are splashy loud if water level is low, so can canisters if return is high. Are you talking motor hum?

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
Not sure how I want the tank yet. I just transferred a few fish and plants from my 20 gallon last night. I will probably be sticking with small fish...tetras. I like to watch them school. I know I'm going to get another bigger piece of driftwood to go with the 2 smaller pieces I have now. I have 2 amazon plants and will get more plants but not sure how many more or what kind. Once I got the tank all set up last night it seemed much quieter. I still hear the hum from the motor but even that doesn't seem so loud. I'll have keep my eyes open for a good deal on a canister. Thanks for all the info!!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Not sure how I want the tank yet. I just transferred a few fish and plants from my 20 gallon last night. I will probably be sticking with small fish...tetras. I like to watch them school. I know I'm going to get another bigger piece of driftwood to go with the 2 smaller pieces I have now. I have 2 amazon plants and will get more plants but not sure how many more or what kind. Once I got the tank all set up last night it seemed much quieter. I still hear the hum from the motor but even that doesn't seem so loud. I'll have keep my eyes open for a good deal on a canister. Thanks for all the info!!
A canister would be your best filter here. The sort of fish you are intending, plus the plants, do not appreciate strong currents, and this is easier to deal with via canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store