Oscars and nitrate levels..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have a question for the oscar owners out there..

What would you consider high, in regards to nitrates for an oscar?

At another forum I belong to, the oscar keepers there seem to get all panicky at 10ppm nitrates, with 20ppm being horrible.

I'm a weekly, large water changer regardless, but was just interested in some other opinions on this.

I don't think any of my tanks have ever exceeded 5, 10 or 20ppm based on my API master test kit. For me it's nearly impossible to differentiate between the 3 ranges anyway.

Thanks!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The info from your other forum is bang on here. Dr. Neale Monks has frequently written that all cichlids seem sensitive to nitrate, and he says keep it below 20 ppm and preferably no more than 10 ppm. Over on the pro cichlid site, they say the same thing. One authority on cichlids, Marc Ellison, has even said that nitrate is likely the true cause of Malawi bloat, more-so than improper foods.

Byron.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think most of us would be surprised at the nitrate levels allowed/maintained in large public FW aquariums. I never change specifically because of nitrate levels, but rather change frequently to keep the tank stable and as close to tap as possible, except for the tanks on continuous WC. Though we all are aware of specific breeds that demand lower levels, such as discus, and of fry rearing issues from ensuring all get enough food, I think we as hobbyists often generalize that nitrates have to be low. In all honesty, the nitrates are just an easy way by inexpensive tests to judge if a WC is needed. All those other trace items are more important IMO.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I can't taste the difference between 10 and 40 ppm when I do my weekly drink test to see if I need to change water.

nuoc-nhiem-mangan.jpg

That being said I think we all do everything we reasonably can to keep them down. In another thread I have been turned toward fluidized sand bed filters and will certainly being installing or making one as part of my next upgrade.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/FluidizedSandFilter.html

dirty-water.jpg

P.S. I don't drink the water and I use a test kit and I change most weeks. My oscars are less than a year old and have no visible or behavioral indicators that anything is wrong.

nuoc-nhiem-mangan.jpg dirty-water.jpg

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
I try to keep mine below 10ppm. I also try to do 50-75% weekly water changes. Note I said 'try'. Once in a blue moon my nitrates measure 40ppm then I have to slap myself!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I try to keep mine below 10ppm. I also try to do 50-75% weekly water changes. Note I said 'try'. Once in a blue moon my nitrates measure 40ppm then I have to slap myself!!
I wouldn't sweat it as long as you've got a regular water change schedule. I've chatted with O keepers who have measured as high as 150ppm nitrates they claim. Like said, nitrates isn't everything..

FWIW, my little O and severum don't even see 10ppm nitrates, but they're small yet and I do weekly 75%+ WCs in their 75g.

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Dont worry just keep up on ur WC n all is well. I had to leave my tanks alone for 3 wks due to a accident. N came back to over 100 ppm n my fish were great. Jus keep them healthy n happy.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Dont worry just keep up on ur WC n all is well. I had to leave my tanks alone for 3 wks due to a accident. N came back to over 100 ppm n my fish were great. Jus keep them healthy n happy.
This is a bit different scenario. A brief rise in nitrates is tolerable to many fish, but maintaining a high level will eventually wear them down and cause deaths. And the internal damage nitrates cause is not seen externally, even in fish behaviours, until it has gone too far. The studies on nitrates are not many, yet, but from those to date we have learned that nitrates are far more significant than many seem to think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store