Varied diet for my cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I will be getting a cichlid tomorrow and I just want to make sure i have feeding right :)

commercial-
Spirolina flakes
Omega One Cichlid Pellets
Omega One cichlid Flakes
Hikari Mini Pellets

Frozen-
Bloodworms

Live- bred in my own tanks
Platy fry
ramshorn snails

Anything I am forgetting? I know Hikari is not the best but I want them to get use to pellets and I ordered large omega one on accident

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Knowing what type of species would help because some need a high protein diet while others need more "veggies"( plant matter, algae, etc) ots always best to have a varied diet and an occasionally treat wont hurt either :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I am looking at Jewels and convicts ... only getting one fish though, most likely getting a jewel if the stock looks good.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
You look to be spot on with the food choices (with the exception of the snails). Both species are omnivores
+1 your food choices are good to go with these fish. Both are known to eat invertebrates and some plant matter in the wild. I would leave tge snails out of the diet though. If the fish get ahold on a baby snail they could possible get lodged in the fish and cause issues.
Both of those fish are cool. Ive never seen a stunning jewel yet but hopefully youll prove me wrong if you get one :)

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Part of the reason I was getting cichlids was to help with my ramshorn population, its out of control, but i do not want to lose my fish ...

Well back to the drawing board, And I can not get my hands on assassins so I will just keep looking :)

Thank you :) I have been researching but I wanted to be sure :)

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I was under the impression you were getting the cichlid and wanted to know best feeding options, not as a means of snail population control. There are other fish better suited for snail control. I'm no expert in this arena by any means but numerous loach species and freshwater dwarf puffers are good at snail control

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive heard alot of good things about loaches including snail control.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I was under the impression you were getting the cichlid and wanted to know best feeding options, not as a means of snail population control. There are other fish better suited for snail control. I'm no expert in this arena by any means but numerous loach species and freshwater dwarf puffers are good at snail control
yes that was the point of this thread, I brought it up as a sidenote, I will look at loaches. I am just glad I have the right menu for my cichlid :) I do love cichlid.

And when i said part of the reason I am getting him, It was more part of the reason I initally thought of cichlids, The ones we had when I was little ate EVERYTHING

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'd just like to offer a couple suggestions. One on the bloodworms, only feed these once a week, no more. They are high in fat and protein and fine for a treat, but no more regularly. [In the back of my mind there is something I think I've read about bloodworms and cichlids, but can't remember; it may come back to me.]

Second is on the snail control, since some posts have been suggesting fish; I understand you (elliriyanna) are not intending this now, but it is worth mentioning for everyone's benefit. I think it advisable never to get any fish solely for this or that problem, be it algae or snails. Some of these fish have very special needs; loaches for instance must have a group as they are very social fish, and this may mean larger tank space just to provide adequate housing, and some of them won't touch snails to begin with. There are better ways to deal with snails; not overfeeding, regular substrate vacuuming (esp in non-planted tanks) and water changes, and removing them manually.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store