second hand fluorite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
A person on CL is selling it. Is this a good idea to even consider it? If its been in the tank for a while would it be a mucky mess since it's clay based? I've seen some reports that these break down after a year or so.

allathlete5

AC Members
Jan 16, 2014
From what I've read fluorite should be good for something like 3 years depending on the water parameters. And I'm sure it will still be pretty dusty once you put it in your tank even though it's second hand!

I think it should be good, depending on how long the first owner has had it in his/her tank.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Before I get to the issues with Flourite itself, I would not recommend ever using substrate from another person's tank. You've no idea what pathogens may be living in it; and no amount of basic "washing" can guarantee removal of pathogens. If it is important to quarantine new fish (and I firmly believe that it is), then don't risk your aquarium by introducing something unknown in the substrate. Same goes for wood and rock from another person's tank.

To the Flourite itself, my view is don't waste your money. I had a 70g tank set up with Flourite Black for over two years, and I tore it down and put in play sand for the substrate. The Flourite did not help the plants at all. Plus, it was sharp enough to damage my corys and they had to be removed, one was even missing half its mouth. They are now, after three years, doing well in a sand-based tank.

Seachem says Flourite remains active for the life of the aquarium. This is rather difficult to determine, since it does not seem to have any positive effect on the plants. It cost me $180 to do the 70g with Flourite, compared to $14 for play sand, and now, after one year with the sand, the plants are as thick as they were previously.

Byron.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I was thinking of buying it for a new tank setup. But good feedback on play sand vs Flourite, that's very informative. I though I was not providing a good substrate with my PFS! Yeah, guess I'll pass on it.

Thanks.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds very wise to me FFman.

I might use a sock of used substrate from someone to setup a brand-new tank, with a few fish, but to use unknown used substrate with your existing stock would be too much of a risk.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Flourite is hardened clay, no mud forms other than from organics from a year's worth of use. I'd rinse, bleach the heck out of it, then rinse some more & soak in a heavily Prime'd bath or 2. That said, it'd quite a bit of work & time for only a so-so substrate. I have some from a friend I may use sometime after bleaching but I don't know that I'd buy it used. The color is nice.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I was planning on rinsing it to remove debris and then baking it in the oven to kill everything and dry it out until I'm ready to start a tank. But this guy wanted 50 cents a pound (wet Flourite) which to me is way too expensive, so that's a deal breaker.

So if Flourite is not so great, does anyone have opinions of Stratum? Looks like the claim is that it doesn't get compacted so roots grow well in it?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
So if Flourite is not so great, does anyone have opinions of Stratum? Looks like the claim is that it doesn't get compacted so roots grow well in it?
What method of planted tank are you intending? There are several types of substrate possible. I have used fine gravel, play sand and Flourite, and added laterite to a new tank once. The laterite had no benefits I could detect on the same plant species in this tank and others, and I already commented on the Flourite being pointless (and Eco-Complete is the same). Some of the other enriched substrates (like Amano's) may be beneficial, I don't know, but they are very expensive. I have not yet found any plants that will not grow in sand or fine gravel, most without any substrate nutrients, and some such as large swords, aponogetons and tiger lotus benefiting from substrate tabs. Soil is another often suggested, but this carries some issues and in my view is not worth it; even Diana Walstad agrees that after a year it has no benefit over other substrates. I am now using play sand in all my tanks except one that has fine gravel.

Edit: After posting and re-reading, I see you are asking about a specific product called Stratus; sorry, it is early morning here and I previously read "substrate," hence my response. But I'll leave it for what it's worth. B.

Byron.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Safe-T-Sorb could be another inexpensive suggestion.

My experience with Stratum was that it became half it's original volume due to rinsing. I wouldn't expect it to last long, and I'd expect it to become compacted over time too.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Never tried Stratum but I concur with Byron on the fluorite. Basically expensive crushed-up flower pots.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store