Saltwater tanks look so cool, but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Came across CL for SW tank for sale. I've always wanted to try it but haven't had a chance yet.
So I see this CL listing and said to myself, yeah that's my dream tank, size wise. A SW tank this size would be the ultimate!

2014-02-13_21-36-52.png

But then, I see this pic! Looks so "clean" from the front but underneath is this rats nest of stuff. Are you kidding? What in the world is all this stuff here? Too funny. I'm sure it's all great stuff, but wow SW seems like way more work than FW!!!

2014-02-13_21-36-12.png

2014-02-13_21-36-52.png 2014-02-13_21-36-12.png

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Ask about it if you are interested. i am a freshwater guy, but I talk to a coral guy almost daily. It looks like to me that the owner started handling problems that arose one at a time Instead of foreseeing them. If you like the tank, and you know how to correct the issue, then this shouldn't stop you if you know what you are doing. I agree though, that is a rats nest.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks like an electrical shock waiting to happen.....

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It looks more compliated then it is. I am not that "SW technical" and I had a reef. Once it is set up you can just leave it alone. Most of that stuff is for a reef anyway, if you only want a few corals, and some fish most of that stuff is not needed.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
It's really not as bad as it looks, and sometimes this stuff just agglomerates, but each item is a distinct thing. I'm generally of the keep-it-simple mindset, which this person obviously is not. Nonttheless, I've had all of these things at one time or another. I put numbers on the various doohickies in the picture. Here's the reference for what they are:

1: Protein skimmer (foam fractionator) - used to remove organic waste from the water. Of all the items here, this is the most essential. (As with everything, there are alternatives, but you really must have a way to remove dissolved organics.)

2: Hard to tell for sure, but probably a UV unit. Strictly optional - some people actually think they're harmful on reef tanks. (Coral eat tiny animals from the water, and these kill them... This tank appears to be a FOWLR though.)

3: Water bucket... Top off? Automatic top-off systems are important on reef tanks in order to keep the salinity constant as water evaporates.

4: Not sure, but looks like a bio reactor. Use of bio media (organic plastics that are consumed by bacteria and through this, remove excess nitrates) is one of the latest trends. I always preferred using a refugium instead and ended up having more problem with phosphates.

5 and 6: Media reactors - can't tell what's in them, but typically GFO (Granular Ferrous Oxide - for removing phosphates) and carbon.

7: Calcium reactor - helps keep the buffering balanced in the tank. This isn't needed on a FOWLR since there aren't any coral consuming the calcium carbonate to build their skeletons.

8: Skimmate drain bucket. (The skimmer collection cup drains into here.)

9: Supplies. (Looks like media for the reactors.)

In case you don't already know, saltwater tanks are a bit of money pit. :) Much more so than freshwater tanks.

2014-02-13_21-36-12.png

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm waiting for an "everlasting gobstopper" to come popping out of the business end of that thing. If I could find the business end..

All Willy Wonka or Rube Goldberg and whatnot.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yikes! And where are the dosing pumps and ATO equipment! Do I see a RO unit in there?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a lot of the equip in the picture is as atreis pointed out.
the question is.. is it needed.. if it is a reef tank , yes you need dosing pumps,calcium(kalkwasser) as the coral will need it to build.

if it's a fowlr(fish only live rock) then probably not..a RO for top iff is fine as the water is mixed with proper 'salt' with marine salt mixtures.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store