Contact time with hydrogen peroxide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
My amazon sword has some algae on it so I took a gallon plastic bag and put the bag over the whole plant and squeezed most of the water out of the bag. The plant is still in the substrate the the bag covers it. I injected 15mls of the peroxide in the bag and closed it pretty well around the base of the plant. How long can I leave it like this? Will the plant be ok? I'm thinking of leaving it until I don't see bubbles anymore?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would never do this. Algae occurs due to the environment, not the plant, so even if this did work the algae would return unless the conditions in the water are resolved. And besides that, several planted tank sources tell us that anything strong enough to actually kill algae is going to hurt the plant. Also, the leaf on which the algae is attached is probably dying anyway, or will, regardless of the outcome re the algae on it.

If you want to track down the problem causing the algae, let us know the data. Lighting, fertilizers, wsater changes, etc.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I agree with Byron. I have dosed H2O2 to treat bba but I limited the total dose to 2mm per gallon. I think by concentrating 15mm in that small space you could cause the leaves to melt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store