Shrimp Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shua71

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Los Angeles
Details:
-Tank is 15 gallon lightly planted with java fern and anubis, some marimo balls with ADA Amazonia 2 Soil.
-Runs an aqueon HOB filter with filter floss and a large peace lilly plant inside.
-Weekly water changes with tap water using prime.
-Has been running for about a year now. Has about 15 neon tetras and 5 guppies.
-Tank is set to 78 degrees with a heater.

So this tank was originally set up for shrimp. My LFS told me I had to cycle the tank, so initially i had a betta in there for about a month. Water tested at 0,0,5 so I decided to add a few shrimp after removing the betta. Added in about 5 blue rili shrimp and they slowly died one by one. I put the betta back inside and ran the tank for about another 4 months before adding a few more blue rili which all again died. The stock was bought from my LFS which have been in their tanks for a few months so I do not believe the stock is the issue.

I eventually gave up and added in the neon tetras and guppies. I've successfully kept those without any issues aside from the initial few die offs of neon tetras from the petco sales..

Last week i bought 3 fire red shrimp to put in the tank to try them out and they disappeared the next day and I was unable to find them so i'm going to assume they died. Could any of you guys identify what the issue is? The LFS is only about a mile away from my house and they use the city tap water as well so I am unsure of what I am doing wrong.

The issues I can think of are that the soil does cause yellowing of my water which i'm thinking is lowering the PH. I am going to buy a PH test kit in a few days and try that out... I also think another issue may be with me putting the tank near a window with the blinds slightly open so that the tank can gain some natural sunlight. But with the fire red shrimp I kept the blinds completely shut and they still disappeared.

Any theories would help out my LFS has gotten in a ton of shrimp again and I do want to try to keep some. I am even willing to get another tank and completely start all over again...

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Without having your full water parameters, I belive you are going to find that the issue is your PH and KH levels. Rili's are a lot more sensitive to water conditions than say red cherries. I'm not sure about your water temperature, but my shrimp like cooler water. I keep my tank between 75 and 76 degrees. The main thing is to fully test your water, and find out if it's able to maintain the type of shrimp you would like to keep.

shua71

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Los Angeles
Will test pH in a few days. Do you think the soil being moved a bit by my hob has cause the yellow water leading to a low pH?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
That should only cause a minute fluctuation in the PH. If your tank is dirted, you may need to dose your tank to raise the PH. Look into the water perameters of Rillies, and check against your tank and tap water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store