Amano Shrimp Acting "Strange"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWater2525

AC Members
Jan 5, 2014
Hi!

About 2 weeks ago I added 2 Amano Shrimp to my 10 gallon aquarium, which houses 4 baby and 2 adult White Clouds. Yesterday when I went to feed them, the shrimp were swimming around frantically and the bigger one was going against the current and trying to climb into the outlet of the filter. They were swimming in circles around the tank mostly toward the top.
Is this a sign of stress or something like that? There are plenty hiding spaces and the shrimp and fish have always ignored each other. I've tried to plug the space around the filter where they would have a chance to jump out.
After I fed the fish and shrimp, they started calming back down, and today when I woke up, they did the same thing! Only this time, they swimming lasted much longer.
Is this normal? Why would they be acting like this? They've never done this before..... I'm not sure of the gender of the bigger one, but I know one is a male. Sorry for all the questions and rambling! I'm a noob to inverts.
Thanks for all help in advance!!!!

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Perhaps your fish get hungry and harass the shrimp, then calm down and stop chasing them for a while, then proceed to repeat the cycle?
How often do you feed them and what do you feed them? I think amano shrimp like a variety of sinking pellets and algae wafers as well as the tank algae and food bits, they certainly did when I had them.

Scoopy

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2014
Hey there, I was reading this and I breed Amano Shrimp as well as other varieties of freshwater shrimp. It sounds to me like they are going for the microorganisms in your HOB filter. Do you have sponge filter? You should invest in one if you will be keeping fish or shrimp for a long period of time. It requires a sponge filter (Preferable the dual sponge filter from TheShrimpFarm) and an air pump to oxygenate it. Using this will keep your tank cleaner, as well as healthier. The Amano shrimp eat small foods such as microorganisms which are in your filters. So a sponge filter is a filter that does not or rarely gets cleaned and houses these organisms. The Amano shrimp will eat these and be much healthier. Feeding algae rounds is good but you need so little of it since excess will kill the shrimp. Shrimp are susceptible to over feedings very very easily. So try fluval's shrimp pellets you can get on amazon. Their good for shrimp and benefit the shrimp with nutrients they will need for an extended life time. (Shrimp only try and climb out if the water level is too high, since it is easily accessible then or if they feel they are starving. HOB filters are great but my shrimp tend to land on the outake to eat the microorganisms from the filter cartridge inside. These organisms float out to meet a hungry hungry shrimpy. So try all that and let me know what you choose. If you ever need anymore shrimp I am hoping to be selling them one day but I may not be able to ship them until I have my complete license.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Shrimp do that if they don't like the water conditions or are unhappy with where they are. I would guess it is either water parameters or they don't feel safe. I had 2 amano shrimp jump because the PH had been creeping up over time because of evaporation. Just yesterday I had a malawa shrimp in a small net hanging on the side of the tank and it actually crawled up the side of the net and out of the water to escape. I have seen amano shrimp do that but have never seen my malawa shrimp do something like that. Shrimp also swim around all crazy after water changes or when a female is ready to breed, usually after she molts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store