Moving a sword plant..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hi all, I've got a sword in my 10g that was a dreaded clear plastic tube Petsmart purchase about a year ago and sold as an "Amazon Sword". It's outgrowing my 10g. Bad planning on my part!

I have no experience with this type of plant and was thinking about re-homing it in my 55g community tank that's setup for, and contains plants.

It would be going from FloraMax substrate to ordinary gravel, that I would add root tabs to as needed, etc.

Is it just a matter of brushing as much substrate away as possible and carefully uprooting the bugger?

Thanks.

This pic is a few months old:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I removed a sword from my 10g a few months ago that had eco complete in it amd i ended up with a very cloudy tank. Took about 2 days to settle but since then my sword has grown quite a bit.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The length and amount of root structure may well surprise you too, But it's not going to get any easier the more you put it off.. just take your time and +1 to the root tabs too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Moved it. Man you weren't kidding Doug. The root structure basically spanned the entire 10g bottom. I was gentle as possible and still destroyed the 10g. It's a cloud of brown right now. All the plants and decor got jostled, but is going to look better when it settles (I think!).

I kind of centered the sword towards the rear of the 55. This is what the 55 looked like about a month ago..

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The sword isn't in the photo, but since you just moved it, now would be the time to shift it if it is centered. A plant this large in the centre will make the tank appear smaller, and be more "artificial" if that makes sense. Off centre a few inches is fine, and to the left if that photo is what the tank otherwise looks like. And gravel is fine as a substrate if not too large, and root tabs (one a couple inches from the crown) will certainly help as someone mentioned. Also a liquid fertilizer, as some nutrients are only taken up via the leaves. I have known this species, which is usually given as Echinodorus bleherae (though DNA analysis now suggests it is not a distinct species but actually E. grisbechii) to reach the surface in my 2-foot deep 115g and then lie on the surface a couple inches. A truly lovely plant, whatever the species.

If I may be permitted to suggest something on the background, try a plain black sheet of construction paper, the plain, regular flat (= not shiny) type. That will make your plants really show, and they are looking very lovely. You can always replace it if you don't happen to like it, but I think you will. A couple dollars for two sheets taped together is all it will cost.

Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thank you Sir. Good call on the centering thing. I've got it shifted about 4" to the left. It looks much nicer that way. I hope I didn't weaken the plant too much. Some of the root system got mangled during the transfer. It surprised me how firmly it was rooted in the 10g. Here's some pics:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
That's very nice, good placement. It is amazing how well swords withstand moving, unlike some other species (crypts for one). Though not to excess, but it should re-establish itself here with no problem.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Byron.

I shouldn't have let it go in the 10g so long!

I may switch to black construction paper at some point on the 55. I've had it on my 10g since I set it up. I agree that it looks best on a tank with plants.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Another development you can expect are inflorescences (flower stalks). When the plant is established and "happy," it will send out one, two, or three inflorescences. When grown submersed, flowers do not appear (though I had one that did flower once to my surprise) but adventitious plants will form from each node along the inflorescence, usually two plants per node. I find the plant does this two or perhaps three times every 12 months or so, and in between it has a rest period; temperate plants die down during the winter, their rest, but tropicals that remain fully alive still need a rest. That plant of yours may well produce an inflorescence especially now that you have moved it. Transplanting can often invigorate these plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store