Neon Tetra with a ring around his eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigmattyl

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have a neon with this weird ring on his eye... the other eye is fine.. the little guy is acting normally other than this ring...

i dunno what to make of it, or what to do

Thanks for any insight you might have

Matt

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

bigmattyl

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2014
he passed... i have determined that i cannot keep neon tetra alive and am seriously considering giving up on that species

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I discovered it has more to do with the source of the Tetra's.

I have had pretty bad luck with Neon and cardinal tetras.

then I purchased some silver angels from a small mom/pop store.. in it had a single neon tetra...accidentally added to the angels.

that was nearly 2 years ago.. the neon is still alive I have since picked up 6 more from the same store. and they are all still kicking after several months.

I also picked up some cardinals from an online store I get fish from and they have been fine for nearly 1 year.

prior to that when I purchased from bigger cahin stores I was lucky if they made it 3-4 weeks.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I bought 10 neons from a Petsmart near me and only 5 survived. I love tye species but im not going to be buying anymore for a while. But i agree with Ed. It does have to do with source. My friend has some that he got from a breeder and theyre 3 years old

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you're buying from big box stores, there's always a good chance they are adding salt to the water.

as a result, from big box stores, or wherever you buy your fish from, I always advise to acclimate your new fish as slowly as possible.

bigmattyl

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2014
the most frustrating thing, is in the same exact tank i have those golden tetras and glolight tetras that are completely fine.... its just a neon slaughter fest... all the numbers are where they are supposed to be.. KH - 4 drops - PH 6.8 0 nitrites like 5-10 nitrates 0 amm... etc...

the only thing is that i high GH...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, it is sometimes stock, and sometimes how we acclimate. My Cardinals are very old (over 5 years), and I am starting to lose them to age. I have been replacing my Cardinals with Neons from the local Petsmark. I acclimate slowly, and of the 15 or so that I have bought, I have not lost more then 2.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I had almost the same experience as ktrom a few months back. I lost 5 out of six of the neons and the last one killed itself by jumping out of the qt tank. But like star said, it depends on the source stock. The employee at the lfs where i bought them said that there was always problems when ordering from that particular breeder. the lfs owner continued to order from the poor quality stock until they made 0 dollars off neons. now that same lfs are selling the good stock again.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store