Jay's Planted 45g Long Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I started this tank in Dec. 2013 thinking I was going completely break down the 180g and start over.

Lighting 48" Glo Dual bulb HO T5
Co2 RedSea paintball regulator, needle valve, and glass diffuser (24x7)
Filter = AquaClear 300 HB filter
Heater = 300w set + 76 degrees
Substrate = underlayer Miracle grow with a dusting of clay fert mix and a sand cap

Fauna = Apisto Borelli (2 pairs), RCS, Japonica shrimp, Butterfly loaches, Mexican Dwarf Crayfish, (snails)
Flora = C. tropica, C. parva, C. sparilis, A. nana petite, L. platuris, (mermaid weed), (kompact sword), L. cardinalis, S. repens (Algae you name it I got it.)

FTS Progression

CPO next to full grown RCS

A. borelli dominant male

guarding eggs 2nd attempt same male other female he's been evicted

Thanks for checking this out.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Very nice setup. Whats the stocklist?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fauna = Apisto Borelli (2 pairs), RCS, Japonica shrimp, Butterfly loaches, Mexican Dwarf Crayfish, (snails)

Nice set up. All that for a few fishes. LOVE IT!!!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Thanks, What tanker said =) it's in the 1st post as fauna.

Nice set up. All that for a few fishes. LOVE IT!!!
Thanks originally I had Mickey Mouse platies I was going to use as dither fish for the apistos but the borelli were to small to compete for food with the fast platies so they went to the 55g. (yes I know another tank there's 4 others twp 20g longs and two 55g not to mention the others still empty in the garage...lol)

Jay, you do excellent work, man!
Thank you it's nice to have a fan =) I'm actually trying my hand at a semi-presentable scape. This was my 1st attempt having rocks as the primary hardscape. I'm not sure if I can get driftwood into the mix it's a standard 12in front to back and these rocks are pretty big.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I skipped straight to the pictures and forgot to read LOL. great scape. I started reading then i saw pictures and got fascinated :D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Dude, your tanks are really awesome!!! :D What is that plant in the back left? I know you named it, but I'm not very good at recognizing different plants yet by name xD

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, Jay, another very nice tank! I love the rocks & how the plants have grown in. CPOs might be trouble, they seem a bit aggressive for eggs, fry & shrimp from what I've seen in friends' tanks. Nothing wrong with some algae, none seems to be taking over...just a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

Where's the mermaid weed? I've wanted to try it but my former lfs only had the "other" kind once (cool water from the southern states, not really tropical, I can't think of the species ATM). How's it working for you? Nobody in my plant club has it, "up for grabs" anyway, I'll ask around if it's good for you...

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Wow, Jay, another very nice tank! I love the rocks & how the plants have grown in. CPOs might be trouble, they seem a bit aggressive for eggs, fry & shrimp from what I've seen in friends' tanks. Nothing wrong with some algae, none seems to be taking over...just a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

Where's the mermaid weed? I've wanted to try it but my former lfs only had the "other" kind once (cool water from the southern states, not really tropical, I can't think of the species ATM). How's it working for you? Nobody in my plant club has it, "up for grabs" anyway, I'll ask around if it's good for you...
The 4 green stems in the right back. It doesn't seem to propagate well I just now starting to see a couple of new stems starting at the bottom. The plant has completely transformed from when it was in the 180g if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would've thought it was a different plant. It went from a leaf with small spikes to the leaf almost all needles, very cool. I'll keep you in mind if it ever gets to a point where I have stems to share and the weather gets better.

I hope the female can hold them off. I saw one the dwarf cray crawl right over them with the female ready to pounce it just kept going I'm hoping if I keep them well fed it will work itself out we'll see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store