Keeping a spotted puffer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I was curious if a single puffer would be ok in a 20 long? Most places say 30 minimum but if its the only fish I was wondering if this would be ok.

Alternatively, I will be setting up a 40 long community and some places say they can be kept in with other fish as long as they have food and the fish do not have flowing fins.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
29/30 would be better, haven't kept gsp's but my experience with other puffers they liked to go up and down as much as across the tank, if you can wait for a petco $1 sale a 29 is only $9 more then a 20.

For best health GSP's should eventually be kept in brackish water as well, they're born in freshwater but move towards brackish/marine conditions when adults.

They're big time fin nippers so tankmates dont generally work though I have seen one kept with a few damsels.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I worry if I attempted brackish I would kill everything.

I really want a highly aggressive fish, Preferably something that eats snails, I have ramshorn and bladder and I am sure my mysteries will breed soon, So no worries about food supplies. I thought about Dwarfs but they are very hard to find here and having them shipped is very very pricey.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
^ there are other freshwater puffer species, but since you said Dwarfs are hard to come by, i doubt you'll have much luck with others either?

But as mentioned above, GSP's will eventually require high end brackish to marine conditions to thrive...

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
What would be some other options? yeah the spotted is all I have seen in my area, I would be willing to order them but $30 for one fish is a bit much for me. Thats including shipping but still

I will not risk getting a brackish fish.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Have you tried to find SAPs ? South American puffers, also known as the "friendly puffer", do not harass tank mates. I have 3 in my community tank and they get along fine (also have a Figure 8 puffer that has been in there with them for 5 years with no issues). Both of those puffers eat snails. Good luck.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Have you tried to find SAPs ? South American puffers, also known as the "friendly puffer", do not harass tank mates. I have 3 in my community tank and they get along fine (also have a Figure 8 puffer that has been in there with them for 5 years with no issues). Both of those puffers eat snails. Good luck.
South American puffer= colomesus asellus. True freshwater. Beaks don't grow like crazy do you don't have to trim them as long as they get plenty of snails.

The f8 puffer(my personal favorite miniature puffer) is rather friendly as well if given a large enough tank(preferable 4 feet long). It will require low end brackish as it matures. 1.008-1.005 sg preferably.

Low end brackish is just like freshwater just with a little bit of salt. High end brackish is obviously more like marine. You won't be able to keep plants and might some other marine type equipment depending on the sg.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Low end brackish is just like freshwater just with a little bit of salt. High end brackish is obviously more like marine. You won't be able to keep plants and might some other marine type equipment depending on the sg.

Sent from my SGS4 Active
For the GSP eventually they like salinity high at around 1.018. You could keep plants just have to be marine plants, as far as extra equipment, a skimmer wouldnt hurt since puffers are messy buggers but wouldn't be needed, some live rock and a circulation pump would probably be nice.

Getting salinity correct isn't difficult with a decent refractometer($40ish)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store