Neolamprologus multifasciatus with rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Do you think a few multis in my 34G with 1 GBR, Bolivian, and gold rams would be compatible? I'm fascinated with these shell dwelling fish. Plus the shells would add some decor.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) Their water requirements are very different.
2) Too many cichlids in a small tank is never a good idea.
3) Maybe hard too feed with the Rams getting all the food.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I agree with tanker on this
the water requirements for the species you are considering are quite different, a 'world' apart..literally.
the rams come from soft acidic waters the shell dwellers come from hard waters think ' liquid rock ' here.
the rams would probably out compete the shellies for food as well.. mine(Rams) are definitely not shy around much larger fish (discus and angels) and will easily compete with them for food.

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
+2

That size tank would make a nice shellie setup. I'd go with a little rockwork, PFS and lots of large snail shells. Hobby Lobby sells a large bag of natural big shells for around 10 bucks.

Mark

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
And I concur too. A very bad mix for the fish, as there is no "middle ground" when it comes to such divergent requirements in water parameters.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
A local guy is breeding them and says he just uses tap. I asked him what his ph, gh and kh are but he didn't tell me. Sounds like you guys are right, I'll pass on it. $20 for 4 of them seems expensive too.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
That's not a bad price. It's 2 for $20 around here.
I agree. Even though youre passing on the fish 4 for $20 is a good price. Around here it ranges anywhere from $10-$15 for a single one. But the fish you mentioned wouldnt be compatable based on the parameters and area within the tank that they both use( bottom). Either species would make a great tank... Just not together
Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could always get another tank :)

the shell dwellers are typically pretty small and do not require a large tank. I read somewhere even a 10 g tho personally I would put a small colony in a 20 long

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store