AC20 vs. Fluval C2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
I don't know if this question has been asked but I'm looking at either the AC20 of the Fluval C2 to put on my 10gal . I was wondering if anyone can help with this decisio.? I've been reading all kinds of reviews and would like your opinions. Thank you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a bunch of AC's so I'm kind of partial to them. Add another sponge in instead of using carbon and you've got almost canister quality filtering there (not quite.. but close! LOL).

I wouldn't bother with any AC smaller than an AC30. I've got an AC30 on my 10g and 20L. It's not quite enough for my 20L, so I have 2 sponge bubblers in there too.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm an AC fan since you can use any media you want in it, I think you can get away with it with the C2 as well but internally its not quite as open as the AC's.

I too prefer the bigger sizes, the AC20 is rather small if you end up wanting/needing to run prebagged purigen, chemipure and other items. When my 10g was up and running I had an AC50 on it.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have an AC70 and C4. I like both.. For different reasons. I like the AC because of the versatility it has with the extra space. I like the C4 because you can clean it without shutting it off... Ease of maintainance. Both have their pros and cons. IMO either way youll be satisified.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
thanks for the info now I'm looking at the eheim 2211. I've got some time I go on a business trip for awhile so right now I'm just planning. I do appreciate all the advice and opinions though :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I think a canister is probably going to be overkill on a 10 gallon tank.
It depends. There is the Rapids Mini canister filter and it has a gph of 80 which is ideal for a 10gallon.

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
I was looking at those but where the tank is I don't have room to hang the canister off the tank that's why I was looking at the Eheim

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If you do go with a canister and find that the flow is too strong you can find a PVC ball valve( make sure you get one that the hoses will find snug into) and adjust the flow that way. In theory this should work but ive havent tried it yet because i dont have a canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store