Do you Quarantine your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
Do you Quarantine (QT) your freshwater fish b/4 having them enter your Display Tank (DT)? All my fish from the LFS are coming to me with Ich? I have treated the whole tank 3x in the last 3 years.. and it plays havoc on my plants. So Frustrating? I want to purchase 2 discus fish for my 50 gallon planted DT... Can I QT two discus together in a 10 gallon tank b/4 I have them enter my ich free freshwater DT?

Feedback please !!
Neptune

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
in a nutshell, Yes all my new fish are placed in QT.

I would like to address your Discus however.

please research Discus, they are a shoaling species and do much better in a school you will also need to be aware of their water needs.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I completely agree with Ed.

Briefly on the discus, they will be much healthier in a group of say 5 minimum, and require careful water conditions. Warmer temperatures than most of the fish we maintain, and very stable. Soft water will benefit, notwithstanding some discus keeps say moderately hard works; it depends upon the origin of the fish.

As for QT, this is something that I never did until about two years ago when I added new fish and a week later began losing existing fish from what turned out to be an internal protozoan in the new fish. Ich is relatively easy to deal with (though it can be otherwise), but these days there are more and more pathogens and protozoan in fish, particularly in commercially-raised fish which also seem to have weakened from wild fish, that QT is a very wise idea. And it is much simpler to deal with ich in a QT.

Byron.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
If I am initially stocking a tank, no I don't quarantine. If it is an established tank, yes I do. Mostly. I'm human. I got a call a couple weeks ago that the pet store had finally received some red faced gold severums that I requested months ago. I was just leaving town for the weekend, and rather than put them in an unmonitored and uncycled quarantine tank (I didn't have one set up or a cycled filter to use) I put them directly in the main tank. I considered having the pet store hold them, but I figured that would expose them to even more disease. It was a potentially very stupid move. (And I can't say for sure yet if I won this gamble...)

It really is not a smart thing to do. I have had some serious heartbreak from skipping quarantine. Think 125 gal tank filled with mature angels... I could barely stand to see the tank after pulling out bodies every day. Something like that is enough to make you want to give up the hobby entirely.

wren

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If i had the space for a QT tank i would 100% do it. Unfortunately i dont. So when i add a fish, i watch very carefully for weeks before i can settle down and actually enjoy the new fish without worry. Ive only lost one fish this way but its deffinately not a smart decision to skip QT.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
i always quarantine. i routinely treat for ich and do a round of prazi for gill flukes.snails and shrimp i do differently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store