Help with Plant Identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Hi all,

So I got a piece of plant from my LFS when I bought my RCS. The plant has grown, and I like it, but after several attempts of trying to identify it, I still don't know what it is. It may be some type of floater, as it's in a low flow tank, yet it pieces still seem to "break off". Just to experiment, I tied a few pieces to some rocks to see what would happen. As you can see, they are doing fairly well. The tank is by a window that faces East. It gets a little direct sunlight in the morning, but not much. It does get a good amount of ambient light however.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

plant 2.jpg plant1.jpg

plant 2.jpg plant1.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Kind of difficult for me to tell from the small photos, but it may be Bladderwort. If you Google "Aquarium Bladderwort" you'll find many photos and as you have the plant in front of you, might be able to confirm. I had this suddenly appear in my 10g, and thought it was a rather neat algae at first, but turned out to be bladderwort. Another possible is a type of moss.

Byron.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Looks like common Guppy grass to me. It may loosely root itself to the substrate but it is also happy just floating.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I thought that a type of moss was a possibility. That's kind of why I attached it to the rocks and see if it did better on the rocks. It definetly does not like them. It grows toward light, upward, and like I said, pieces are almost released from it to float. I have been leaning toward guppy grass. I just haven't found any photos like this.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Definitely Najas guadalupensis (guppy grass). No point in tying it to anything, it's pretty brittle and will break off the first change it gets. It's really best grown as a free-floating plant. Very tolerant of low light, though, and an excellent choice for providing shelter to fry (which is where it gets its common name).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store