Painting an aquarium ornament?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I bought a small castle for my 12 gallon desk aquarium. I really like the looks of it - with the exception of the yellow ground around the castle. The substrate in my aquarium is a dark black - a special soil that I bought to allow me to grow plants in this tank. I intend to plant it heavily and add a few fish, a couple of shrimp, etc.

I would like to paint the base of the castle - color the orange ground with a black color, to match the color of the substrate in the aquarium. Is there any way to safely do this? I had considered putting a very light coat of aquarium silicon on the base of the ornament and coating it with black soil, but I don't think that would last very long.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Krylon fusion could be used. I see you're in China though so I don't know if its available there. Maybe someone else can give a chemical breakdown on type of paint ingredients that are ok to use.

cyanoacrylate based gel glues could be used for sand attachment.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Thank you! I will look them up. Would aquarium silicon work also? I think I can find very small pebbles that are about the same color as the black soil, so glueing is an option. The pebbles will be more durable than the soil.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store