Bloated fishes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

viviancoco

AC Members
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all, I'm new to keeping fishes, so ya, there's a question that I would like to ask the experts here..

I've noticed that my danios and guppies looking bloated.. I dunno whether isit because they are females, pregnant or just.. bloated.

GetAttachment (1).jpgGetAttachment (2).jpgGetAttachment.jpgGetAttachment (3).jpg

GetAttachment (1).jpg GetAttachment (2).jpg GetAttachment (3).jpg GetAttachment.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
couple of things.

you have multiple threads for the same subject.

also you may want to post your tank set up and water parameters as well as maintenance and feeding schedule

viviancoco

AC Members
Dec 12, 2013
couple of things.

you have multiple threads for the same subject.

also you may want to post your tank set up and water parameters as well as maintenance and feeding schedule
Oops. I tried using my phone to post a new thread but didn't see it being uploaded. Thought it's the connection. So I used the com. :p

Temp: 28
Ph : 7
Gh : 7-8
Kh : 1-2
Nitrate / nitrite : 0

I clean my tank once every week, 1/4 of the tank. 15G tank, artificial plants.

Feed twice daily, food gone within a min.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The "plump" fish appear from the photos to be female livebearers, and I see nothing wrong. Might want to reduce feedings to once daily. Except for fry, once a day is sufficient, and then skip a day or two like water change day.

Byron.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I agree that they look like female livebearers that are hit. When the chest becomes square, you will know it when you see it, that means fry will be arriving within 48 hours, usually less.

As for the feeding advise, I'm going the opposite direction. Unless you either don't care about the fry, if so then fine, or feed a lot of live food then I would actually feed at least three-four times in very small amounts. Sounds like you already feed very small amounts. I say this because if the adults are well feed most tend to leave fry alone. I have Swords that don't eat fry, of course they get fed flakes and live food four times a day, so they are stuffed to the gills. I feed flake food and after about 5 min. live food. My rule is 99% of the flake food needs to be consumed and 1% can hit the bottom. The live food gives the adults something to do and makes the fry grow very quickly.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
If the food is gone within a minute, I think you are fine. It appeared that some Danios were bigger than others. Well, some fish are just quicker at getting to the food. The same thing happens with my Danios. If one is filled up one day, it's usually slower to the food the next day. I wouldn't worry about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store