Controlling water stability with pure water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
So me and one of the guys on here,byron, have been talking a lot about water stability. He told me since my kh is pretty high, 10dkh, that I could cut it with pure water, distilled or ro, but he doesn't have to do this in his as he chose fish specifically suited for his water supply. Something I neglected to do in my amateur start up. My question is does anyone have to do this in their tanks, and once I get the levels down to where I want them, do I have to always cut the tap water,or is there a way for me to keep the levels the same once they are where I want them?

Thank you guys!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you do a water change you'll need to mix the DI and tap water the same ratio everytime to maintain stability.

If you tank is lightly stocked, heavily planted, and low tech you can top off with DI or RO water and only do a water change a couple times a year. This is particular to this type of a setup.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
If you do a water change you'll need to mix the DI and tap water the same ratio everytime to maintain stability.

If you tank is lightly stocked, heavily planted, and low tech you can top off with DI or RO water and only do a water change a couple times a year. This is particular to this type of a setup.

I wouldn't consider mine lightly stocked. If you mean a couple tetras.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I used to mix distilled with tap to lower KH and thus pH in my tank, but I had a good conversation with a LFS owner who told me I'm just wasting time and money because the fish he and chain store pet stores sells are bred in similar water condition as our tap and the fish will do just fine without altering my tap water. If it wasn't true he'd be out of business because lots of customers would be bringing him dead fish all the time. The most important thing to remember is stability, fish will be healthy in a stable tank. Having said that though I do use distilled/tap water mixture to keep at least my TDS constant for top offs.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I soften my rock hard Ohio water using rain water. It's like anything else, once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.

Dennis
We don't really get much rain here though. I used snow melt and i noticed a temporary drop, but it's almost back now. I need to figure out a long term solution though. I really only need to drop the pH a little. It's at like 7.8, 8, so I just want it down to low 7s.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
We don't really get much rain here though. I used snow melt and i noticed a temporary drop, but it's almost back now. I need to figure out a long term solution though. I really only need to drop the pH a little. It's at like 7.8, 8, so I just want it down to low 7s.
A nice piece of mopani would drop the ph close to where you want it.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I have super hard water, and I have found it is easiest to just live with it. If things are going wrong in your tank, a water change (or series of them) is often one of the best places to start to get things right again. If you just live with what you have, that water change is going to be so much easier!

My pH is 8.3, GH and KH are in the mid 20's. A huge piece of driftwood has no measurable effect on my water parameters, although it does yellow the water some and the fish seem to like it. I've found that fish such as African rift lake cichlids thrive in my water (no surprise there) and breed to the point of being a nuisance. And most other fish do just fine. A few years ago I tried Cardinal tetras, a species I have avoided for their reputation of being a bit delicate and needing soft acid water. Over a few years time I lost 1 fish out of the 5 I originally purchased. So I tripled my school of them. The second batch is doing just as well.

Unless you are trying to breed finicky wild species, most of what is available in the pet store will do fine in hard alkaline water. Just keep it clean and they are likely to thrive.

On the other hand, I have pretty much failed at plants... So if you are trying to do plants, I have no advice!

As far as chemistry is concerned, you will always have to cut your tap with distilled water to keep your altered parameters. If you do every water change with tap, eventually you will make your way back to the tap water parameters.

wren

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
There are only a few fish like cardinals that have trouble as adults in hard water (they have a lower ability to excrete excess minerals and end up with calcified organs in hard water). But most fish are able to function fine in harder water. The key point is breeding, hard water will harden fish eggs membranes faster and that prevents fertilization. The young of many of those required soft water for breeding fish will grow better in harder water though because the harder water supplies minerals for their bones.

This message sent using smoke signals.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store