Powerhead rating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I bought an aquarium that has a filtering system and light built into the hood. It is smaller than a 10 gallon - I am guessing about 8.5 gallons. I bought such a small tank to put on my desk at work - I wanted the one with the hood to help make it more quiet and to help reduce evaporation. There is a powerhead inside the tank positioned about 6 inches from the bottom of the tank. It pumps water from the tank up into the filter inside the hood, where it falls back into the water by gravity. I will post a photo of the tank as soon as I can find my sd card adapter :(

My question - the powerhead is 220v, 10watts. I would like to put it down on the bottom of the tank and install a clear tube (glass or acrylic - clear so that it hides the equipment) for it to pump the water up into the hood. Right now the powerhead is pumping the water about 4" above the level of the powerhead. If I put the powerhead on the bottom of the tank, it will have to pump it about 12" above the level of the powerhead. Will this powerhead be able to do it? Right now, the water is being oxygenated from the water falling back into the tank and from the venturi effect - an air hose connected to the outflow of the powerhead in the tank. Apparently this ph is sending water in 2 directions. Will I will get the air mixed in with water at the powerhead level if the ph is down on the bottom of the tank?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Only the difference between the water level in the aquarium and the outlet above that water level counts as head pressure. The pump will pump essentially the same (there will be a minimal loss due to friction but that is unnoticeable) whether it is at the bottom of the aquarium or just under the surface.

You will have no problem pumping the water.

The venturi could cause a problem as the amount of suction that the powerhead can draw in will decrease the deeper the powerhead is underwater. If you can arrange it so the venturi stays at the current level but the pump moves down that should be fine. If the air intake is on the inlet side of the powerhead (an aspirating powerhead) then you may have more issues. The venturi may not be necessary to maintain proper filtration though and you may be able to remove it completely.

It's not something you typically find in power filtration.

Andy

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hi "Red Devil", long time no talk to you. I do not think the pump pressure will be an issue, just try to keep the hose as short as possible. Oxygen gets into the water by surface movement, and as long as the tank is not too crowded, this will not be a problem.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Thanks! The tank will be heavily planted, which will also help. The main reason why I want to lower the powerhead is to keep it out of sight. I can hide it with plants. It is in such an awkward position now - so conspicuous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store