Putting a lake on the bottom of my aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I thought I have heard of people putting oval shaped mirrors on the bottom of their aquarium to simulate the appearance of a lake...does this work? and if so, what kind of materials would be non-toxic to the fish?

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I'm sure there are people who will dig up every component of mirror backing and tell you exactly how safe it is.

From an aesthetic point of view, there is only one way to find out if it will work like you see it in your mind.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
If there is a toxic backing on the mirror, maybe you could use aquarium safe silicone and seal the edges. Just an idea.

This message will self destruct in...1...2...3...

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'm not positive but I think mylar is safe to use. I mean, don't they have them ziplock bags made of mylar used for food?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
If the bottom of your aquarium is glass, just attach the mirror to the underside of the aquarium, then you don't have to worry about mirror compatibility at all because it would be outside of the aquarium. Mirrors are just glass with a reflective backing applied to them, so what's an extra bit of glass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store