Carbon Supplements instead of CO2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey all!

I'm debating the use of carbon supplements for my small planted tank vs. a CO2 system. I'm currently cycling my tank with intentions to raise some red cherry shrimps. I went to the pet shop today and looked at carbon supplements, Seachem Flourish Excel. When I looked at the ingredients, it appeared there was copper in most all of them (like 0.001%). Since I'm a noob to shrimping and have done some researching, I've found that copper is bad for shrimp and could kill them. The stuff I've read has mostly referred to the antibiotic supplements (for fish ick, etc) so I'm not sure if the amount of copper in the Flourish Excel is enough to make a difference. Since I'm keeping shrimp is it a bad idea to use the carbon supplements since they have copper? In my small tank it would be way more economical for me to just buy the carbon additive instead of purchasing a whole CO2 system. Thoughts??? I dont want the copper in the Flourish to kill my shrimps when the tank is done cycling and I add them.

Thanks for your help! Here's a pic of my tank currently and I bought some Java fern that I am going to plant tonite when I do a water change. as u can see i just have some Crypt para, Anubias, Java moss, and will add java fern tonite.

planted tank.jpg

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I recently heard that liquid carbon is bad for shrimp. I have a shrimp tank that I was using liquid carbon (didn't know about this until later). I noticed that the new shrimp I got would just vanish. My tank is heavily planted so I just assume that they disappeared in the jungle. Out of the 10 shrimp that I had, I now have 4. 3 of which I actually saw the bodies. I never had issues with shrimp dying off with a CO2 system (just make sure you turn it off at night). It might be a bit pricey, but I would suggest getting a small CO2 system. I'm assuming that your tank is a 10g? I have the Fluval 88g CO2 system on my 7g. Each cartridge last about a month. I ended up buying a paintball canister adapter, so I'll be using a 24oz paintball canister which should last me about 4-6 months. It'll be cheaper in the long run as the 3 pack of 88g cartridge cost $32. It will cost less for me in the long run to just get refills.

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
I recently heard that liquid carbon is bad for shrimp. I have a shrimp tank that I was using liquid carbon (didn't know about this until later). I noticed that the new shrimp I got would just vanish. My tank is heavily planted so I just assume that they disappeared in the jungle. Out of the 10 shrimp that I had, I now have 4. 3 of which I actually saw the bodies. I never had issues with shrimp dying off with a CO2 system (just make sure you turn it off at night). It might be a bit pricey, but I would suggest getting a small CO2 system. I'm assuming that your tank is a 10g? I have the Fluval 88g CO2 system on my 7g. Each cartridge last about a month. I ended up buying a paintball canister adapter, so I'll be using a 24oz paintball canister which should last me about 4-6 months. It'll be cheaper in the long run as the 3 pack of 88g cartridge cost $32. It will cost less for me in the long run to just get refills.
Yup a 10 gallon. I've received mixed reviews about the amount of plants I have and the actual need for supplemental carbon/CO2. Here is an updated pic of the Java Fern I added. With this amount of plants is carbon supplementation actually needed? And how much am I looking at for a CO2 system (i've looked into the DIY CO2 with sugar/yeast/water but seems like a hassle).

Planted tank 2.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
You have low light, slow growing plants. CO2 supplements or even injection would be a waste of time and money. I'd suggest that you use your money on some fast growing stem plants to compete with algae. With all those slow growers, you may be in for a battle as soon as nutrients increase in the water column and substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Most of the plants you have can do without CO2. I not sure about the C. Parva. I haven't read anything about supplementing then with CO2, but they might need stronger lighting though.

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
You have low light, slow growing plants. CO2 supplements or even injection would be a waste of time and money. I'd suggest that you use your money on some fast growing stem plants to compete with algae. With all those slow growers, you may be in for a battle as soon as nutrients increase in the water column and substrate.

Any recommendations for the fast growing stem plants? would that require me to buy a new hood for more light? and also would they require CO2? The stronger light hoods I've looked at are kind of expensive. I paid $40 for this one and am using a 18" Aqueon Flouramax Plant Growth Light.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO--All plants can and will do better with CO2. I have some Java Fern that grows fast and huge with CO2 and high lights. I do not like to use "just" liquid carbon, all the brands have some added chemicals that are not good (copper for example). The makers add them as an algaecide, to kill unwanted algae. It also harms Val, Cabomba, ect. They are a good supplement, but not as the only source of carbon.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It seems like you WANT to supplement carbon. What I am saying is that you don't HAVE to. What Josh Holloway's stalker said is true, a lot of plants will do well with CO2 added even if they don't "require" it, and some melt like mad with liquid carbon sources.

Water wisteria, or a floater like water sprite or frogbit would help soak up those extra nutrients I mentioned. A Rotala variety would be fine at this light level too. Don't buy a new hood! There are plenty if suitable plant choices that would be helpful without changing everything.

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
It seems like you WANT to supplement carbon. What I am saying is that you don't HAVE to. What Josh Holloway's stalker said is true, a lot of plants will do well with CO2 added even if they don't "require" it, and some melt like mad with liquid carbon sources.

Water wisteria, or a floater like water sprite or frogbit would help soak up those extra nutrients I mentioned. A Rotala variety would be fine at this light level too. Don't buy a new hood! There are plenty if suitable plant choices that would be helpful without changing everything.

My preference would be not to supplement at all. Obviously this would be a much cheaper option to do nothing haha. That's why I'm soliciting advice from this forum to get a better idea of what I need to sustain a cool looking, low maintenance tank. But I obviously don't want all my plants to die when something as simple as a root tab or liquid carbon would prevent that. I am using SeaChem Flourite black sand that is supposed to have nutrients built in so, for now, I think i'll just see how it goes :) If all my plants die I'll blame u. (LOL j/k) Thanks for the plant suggestions man I really appreciate it! Can't wait for my cycle to complete to add some shrimps in there :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It wont negativepy afftect the plants you have now if you dont supplement CO2. Adding CO2 with what you have now is only a choice. I personally see no reason to add CO2 but if you adding a fast growing stem plant such as water wisteria, CO2 can show some good growth. Just becareful when adding nutrients ( ferts or CO2) because an imbalance can led to algae. I personally like my slowing growing and undemanding plants because it adds natural beauty to a tank with very little effort. Good luck in your endeavors!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store