Should I add another ram to my 40b?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
:naughty: I have a 40 breeder with the following, and want YOUR input (not google's) on if I could add another ram to this tank. Sex does not necessarily matter, and the three rams move around each other's territories with average pushy ram tendencies but no craziness. I would probably get a gbr or ebr larger than the three existing fish.

3 Bolivian rams (all female)
6 kuhlis
bn pleco
10 rosy tetras
male betta (nobody bosses him around, he only bothers himself)

The tank itself is low-tech and planted, lights on 9-10 hours/day. I feel like four would be pushing it, but the girlfriend wants another one.

:thumbsup:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I certainly would not add another species. As for another Bolivian, the issue is usually space for territories, and that is the male's perogative. So with three females, one could argue this issue is not as relevant. A male would certainly liven things up. But it could end in death of one or more of the females. Adding another female might simply rock the boat.

Aside from the above, thinking purely tank size/fish load, I would not.

Byron.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, personally I wouldn't (I've learned to understock) but if you maybe move some decor a bit to mess with their territories they *should* be fine. Still, a risk I think, to alter a balanced tank with that many rams.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I agree with the above and especially moving things around. Take the other rams out, rearrange the bottom aquascaping and put all four in at one time.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks for the replies. Google is way too 50/50 and I'm not even that sure, so I'm not going to add one. I learned quickly that adding another species would be a bad idea as well, as per google. I rearrange the tank once every two weeks, mostly just rock work, and the tank is lively but mellow enough without the added craziness of territorial breeding disputes.

By the way, I do 25% changes every 3 days and rinse/clean any gunk or whatever off my media and filter. It's a very clean tank...just saying. Don't judge. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Thanks again all!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store