All my Serpae Tetras are sick. What to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kristian9107

AC Members
May 21, 2013
I have 6 serpae tetras, few of them have one large white spot that is more developed than others.My tank:140 liters, well planted, i change 25% of the water each week, i have nasty infestation of some little brown snails(planorbis or something), i have 1 little bristlenose, 3 corys, 6 serpae tetras, 1 angelfish 2 pseudogastromyzons, i have 1 internal filter(300 liters per hour) 1 sponge filter & 1 air stone. That's basically everything. Here's some pictures.

IMG_20140226_200834.jpg IMG_20140226_200845.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have to second cicrush13 here, looks like some kind of fungus. It is that large white thing that is in the center of the 2nd pic right?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I concur as well. I want to add that it may be difficult to medicate in the current set up, so if you have a hospital tank now would be a good time to use it. Watch the white spots closely. If any develop a red hue then you're looking at a secondary ulceration. At that point those are going to be the most expensive Serpeas you have ever seen.

Just one note, I detest Serpeas as they are aggressive fin nippers and bullys. When I first read the title to your post my first thought was say thank you! Anyway, the reason for the side comment is that pet stores sell these guys as community fish and they really are not. Kind of like tiger barbs, good when in the right place.

kristian9107

AC Members
May 21, 2013
You are quite right, the serpaes ate the fins of my female angelfish and she died.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
If Serpaes are given a high protein diet like betta food, for example, the fin nipping drops to almost zero. I still wouldn't trust them with a fish with long fins though.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
As the issue has been raised in the last three posts, I will add my agreement. Serpae should never be in with sedate fish like angels, gourami, cichlids in general.

I have never come across the protein diet item before, that is interesting; but remember that too high protein is not good for most fish. I do know that keeping Serpae in large groups, 10+, can sometimes prevent nipping at least of some other tankmates...but again the angels etc are a real temptation and should not be included regardless. This just isn't fair to the fish; even if physical damage is not seen, the allomones these fish are releasing and other fish read are just as stressful.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store