All my shrimps died.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

viviancoco

AC Members
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all,
I have two shrimp tanks and I've just did a 30% water change for one of my breeding tank an hour ago.
The whole tank of shrimps started swimming frantically, and even my shrimplets.
Within half an hour, all laid on the tank floor, struggling and most of them, dead.

I've tested the water for copper, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite and whatsoever (whatever test kits I have),
and everything seems perfectly fine.

Lost all 60+ shrimps in less den an hour.

Sister had been keeping shrimps for years, and she didnt see anything like this before.
Anybody here knows what happened?

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Maybe excess CO2 levels? Or there might be some contaminate in your water that you cannot test. I have heard about tap water randomly becoming toxic to fish when the water provider changes something in the water or how they treat it.

Also if the ph/gh/tds changed a lot that could be a problem. I doubt that would cause them all to die in an hour though.

viviancoco

AC Members
Dec 12, 2013
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's not a planted tank, and the filter is still running, so co2 might not be an issue..
I have a habit to test the ph/gh/tds/kh before water change, and test them again an hour after water change. Everything seems normal ):

What an unpleasant surprise. Still can't get over the fact. Oh wells..

DBL TAP

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
I lost a colony of RCS, albeit not so fast, when I stirred up the gravel doing a partial water change. It released a gas pocket.

jesseter

AC Members
Oct 21, 2012
How fast did you change the water? If the parameters weren't a complete match with a sudden change that could take them out. Sometimes they are extremely sensitive. I won't even ask if you used prime I just assumed you did.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Sounds like contam

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Contaminated wc bucket.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
When was the previous wc?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
what did you use to dechlorinate the water? and do you age it before the wc, or wc right out of the tank?

And instead of thinking about CO2 in the water, think about there not being enough O2. Water temp and dechlor can affect this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store