guppy misscarriage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
one of my female guppies looked ready to have babies a week & 1/2 ago. ive been keeping her in the breeder on/off. her gravid spot turned from black to red and she is still the same size. temp is about 79F. is she absorbing the babies due to stress? what is happening

Tando Mando

AC Members
Apr 12, 2004
Planet Earth
Visit site
I've never seen what you are experiencing, but I have seen mama guppies become very very ill when it was time for them to birth their babies. If they don't come out, the mama would either re-absorb them (I'm guessing) or die trying to expel them.
When I was about 15 years old, I had a mama guppy in severe distress trying to deliver. A whitish lump appeared where the babies should be coming out, and she was dying quickly. I took a razor blade and gave her a caesarian! Some of the babies lived, but the mama died of course. I figured it was better than letting them all die, and I certainly don't advocate this procedure for the squeamish. But since this is SUPPOSEDLY an open forum (as opposed to, say, an ARTICLE), I'm sharing my experience with the hopes that despite all the flack I'm assuredly going to get for mentioning giving a guppy a caesarian, it *IS* an option when all else fails. Make the incision quickly, and squeeze her sides gently, and make sure you're holding her over the tank.
Since that time, I've not done any fish operations like this, I've F.-L.-U.-S.-H.-E.-D. the dying fish before it died in the tank.
Good luck to you and the mama guppy and her brood, in whatever course of action YOU choose.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
You will not get flamed for the emergency in extremis caesarian.

You probably will get flamed for flushing live fish. The idea is that you euthanase them and then dispose, rather than letting them die a lingering death in the sewer.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by Tando Mando

Since that time, I've not done any fish operations like this, I've F.-L.-U.-S.-H.-E.-D. the dying fish before it died in the tank.
Is there a reason you need to add 'flushing fish' to nearly everyone of your posts?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I assume that it is Tando (Murphy, Mando), Ozark Joe, AwsomeDude's hobby to try and tell everyone to flush their fish. Very counterproductive but that is what trolls do. It also seems to be his hobby to answer his own posts. But enough of him, trolls like it when you spend your time talking about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store