Pond, Algae and Ramshorn Snails questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I have a friend who has a kidney shaped pond that holds about 66 of water. It is over hung by a big tree that flowers many hundreds of yellow flowers each spring through summer, which ultimately fall into the pond, alternatively a seed pod of a green bean appearance grows in place of the flower, this dries up, vacates its contents and drops from the tree into to my pond also. Approximately 3 months ago, towards the end of summer.

She placed a Water Lilly, some Elodea (2 bunches), 4 Goldfish and 10 red Ramshorn snails. It's nowe in the first month of winter and climate in Melbourne enables the Water Lilly to remain slow but active, the Elodea is growing at a great rate although has a thick covering of green algae, the Goldfish remain active, they are approximately 2 and a 1/2 times the size they were when they went in (approximately 5 inch) although only 2 are seen now as they surface gulping for air, which indicates to me a lack of oxygen in the water.

Ramshorn doesn't seem to be doing much good. Is it best to aerate the water? Is there a wy to do this without power i.e. pumps or filters? I know that 10 snails will not do a great visual clean up, but do you think they will reproduce to a level that will visually help keep my pond clean? Lastly, I heard algae eradication and found that bundles of barley straw weighed down is the best method of doing so, should she get rid of the algae or does it help the ponds Eco establishment?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I had common goldfish in my garden pond for a few years (until the raccoon continually ate them, so I gave up) and I believe it is normal for goldfish to gulp at the surface. I've seen this in tank goldfish too.

Algae is a producer of oxygen, similar to plants, so I wouldn't worry about this. I have no idea if the barley idea works, but in case you are thinking of using so-called algae inhibitor chemicals, don't. Algae is natural, and goldfish being vegetarian will probably enjoy grazing it.

Byron.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The algea may become problematic as it can comsume too much oxygen if totally out of control. I have used a rigged up HOB filter run for a few hours a day to keep it dowm to a minimal level. The snails will certainly reporduce with this ready food source. The problems youwill have are A. Snails can't eat the floating micro algea and it sounds like there is a lot of it, B. if they reporduce enough to control it the bioload from the waste would be sky high. I would run some type of air in the pond as this will help keep the algea down and encourage the growth of micro organisms that feed on algea.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
please don't poison the pond trying to get rid of algae; the goldfish won't like it, i think that the lily may not take it well, and the snails may well be killed off. there are better (tho perhaps slower) ways.

1. i would suggest putting in some more oxygenator plants -- basically submerged aquarium plants like valisnerias or the elodea, and floaters like anacharis, yes, the goldfish may eat them, but they will tend to out-compete the algae for the nutrients and eventually the algae will die back. the 2 bunches you have aren't enough for 60 gallons; you probably need closer to 20.

remember that both algae and the higher order plants only produce oxygen during the day; at night they generate CO2. if you see mysterious die-offs at night you DEFINITELY need to add some active pumping / filtering or air stones.

there are battery-powered air pumps and filters; i'm not sure how long they last before needing to be recharged, but that might be easier (and safer) than running AC out to the pond

2. cut back on your feeding; that (and all the bio load falling into the pond) is what is making the algae grow. i recommend completely stopping all feeding for several days, unless and until the fish act very hungry when you add a tiny bit of food to the surface. my dad has a several hundred gallon pond that is stocked with goldfish. he hasn't fed them in about 3 years; the fish eat anything that falls into the pond and browse on a 1/4 inch carpet of fuzzy algae that has grown on all pond surfaces. the water is crystal clear (he does have a bead filter).

3. ramshorns really don't do much for a pond's algae. perhaps you could get something like Florida flagfish to work on the hair algae. (Victoria isn't as crazy about imported fish as NZ is, are they?)

4. if you have a green water problem as well (single cell algae floating about) you could try adding some daphnia to see if they can knock that back before the fish find them.

HenryJordan

AC Members
Apr 24, 2014
hydra-aqua.com
Algae spread rapidly and cover pond surface in just 2-3 weeks.
Algae blocks sunlight to get to in pond for fish and also consume nutrients form pond, these two things will suffocate aquatics and cause danger to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store