Red Cherry shrimps all disappeared!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ctran91

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
I bought about 16 red cherry shrimps about 3-4 weeks ago and usually I can only see about maybe 6-8 at most but lately i've seen none! This got me really worried and so today while doing my water change I took everything out triple check them to make sure there were nothing hiding in it but found nothing.I checked the filter and found one, but it was dead. I also found three hiding and separated them temporarily. I also found the two baby shrimps (not counted in the 16) which I thought for sure would of died since they were small and would get sucked into the filter. They live in a 3.5 gallon tank with filter and heater and with Mr.Betta and some plants (Marimo, xmas moss, and some wavy grass looking plant). Mr.Betta was curious about them at first but left them alone after a while. So Im sure its not him. I have found a couple dead since I first bought them and did two water tests in 3-4 week time span and there was nothing abnormal. I didnt find any more bodies to prove that they had died nor have I found any pieces of them suggesting that Mr.Betta attacked them. it would be nice if someone told me what is going on!!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I think Mr betta is killing them. Btw how do you feed the shrimp?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Have you tested for copper? What are your test results? Did you test the water going in to the tank before the water change? These details may help us help you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ctran91

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
I think Mr betta is killing them. Btw how do you feed the shrimp?
I feed my shrimps a third of the Hikari algae wafers every two days. I don't think Mr. Betta is killing then since I haven't found any body remains :(

ctran91

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Have you tested for copper? What are your test results? Did you test the water going in to the tank before the water change? These details may help us help you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I use the strips that petsmart provides for free. I didn't get any numbers, they told me everything is looking good before I put the shrimps in and when I noticed deaths I did another test

mossballs

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2014
Louisville, KY
Once a shrimp dies, the body would lay around on the floor of the tank while the other shrimp ate it. If they chose not to eat the dead shrimp, the body would be there for a few days, at least. If you haven't seen dead bodies, then odds are, the betta is eating them. The betta would have the shrimp eaten pretty soon.

I usually tell our customers not to put shrimp in a betta tank....too risky.

So again, if water, etc was the problem, you would see dead shrimp lying around on the floor.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I feed my shrimps a third of the Hikari algae wafers every two days. I don't think Mr. Betta is killing then since I haven't found any body remains :(

both my bettas eat shrimp whole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store