foamboard as background for aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I was wondering if it is safe to use foamboard to make the background for an aquarium? Foamboard seems to be a little bit different than styrofoam, plus it has paper glued to one side. I want to make the background thinner than ordinary styrofoam will allow - foamboard is the perfect thickness. I also tend to think that, because of the paper, the cement would more easily stick to it.

Last edited:

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Concrete is porous, meaning not waterproof. If the bg gets wet without being sealed, it will wet the paper and it will likely peel or at least break down. It's risky move, but it may or may not work. You could try to remove the paper leaving only the foam behind. I suspect this would be pretty hard to do.
Have you looked at a home improvement store for styrofoam insulation sheets designed for garage door panels? That's what I am using. They are about half an inch thick, which isn't that thick. They don't have the plastic or foil backing either. That's what I would suggest. 1/4" difference isn't worth the headache IMO :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Zorro, I imagine you can coat anything and have it aquarium safe. If I wanted to coat clay bricks, for example. Clay can contaminate water unless it is coated. What do you coat your background with when you are finished?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I'm using styrofoam and concrete only. I don't plan on coating mine. I want mine to stay porous so it is more rock like.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store