New Rams! What to know?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I just recently bought two male Blue rams for my 29g tank. After only a few days they look good and are curiously exploring the tank. Since I'm new to cichlids I do have a few questions for you pros though.

One of the two had some slightly ragged fins when I bought him. He didn't look terrible but he's just slightly smaller than the other and a little duller in color. I'm treating the whole tank with Melafix to help with the fins, is this okay with rams?

I'm assuming that the smaller ram is a little duller because the other fish is the dominant. Is this a safe assumption?

While I trust the lfs that sold me these guys (they're pretty much the #1 cichlid shop around) I wanted to get a second opinion. I was concerned that two males might get territorial or fight. He assured me that he's never known two male rams to fight. The tank is very well planted with plenty of hiding spots so I'm not overly concerned just looking for the experiences of others.

Lastly, what can I feed these guys. The rest of the fish in this tank (danios, pygmy cories, clown pleco) get flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. I also bought some Wardley's slow simking crumbs or something like that for the rams. Any other suggestions? Are there live foods I can feed them?

Tom

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Though the bickering won't be as bad as if you had bought two females, your two rams will fight. They are best kept in m/f pairs because of this, and even then the males may beat on the females (like if she eats the eggs) and vice versa of course.

The smaller ram may be duller because he isn't as domininant but I would also watch him very closely for sickness.

IME, rams aren't too picky when it comes to food. They pretty much will eat anything.

One of the most important things to ram health, IMO, though is that the temp be kind of high. 82F is pretty much ideal. It will help them ward off disease and increase their appetite.

HTH

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by PumaWard
One of the most important things to ram health, IMO, though is that the temp be kind of high. 82F is pretty much ideal. It will help them ward off disease and increase their appetite.
Good to know. My temp is at about 77 right now so I'll likely bump it up slowly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store