Home tile renovation project - how to protect aquarium?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AntyPam

AC Members
May 11, 2007
Florida
We are going to remove/replace a house full of tile. What is the best way to protect my freshwater fish and 30 gallon tank during the process? The canary I can take to my office, but the silt in my tank has to be avoided. Aside from cleaning the filer daily and covering the top of the tank with layers of cheesecloth or similar filtering media, does anyone have experience or suggestions? I have an Eclipse 3. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Cover them with wrapping of your choice, duct tape the wrapping to the tank/stand. Do this twice to be safe, and remember that this is only from experience with crap flying through the air, not longstanding chemicals in the air column. I hope that makes sense....I'm just covering my butt.

:cheers:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Make sure the covering doesn't get over heated and catch fire from the lights....

AntyPam

AC Members
May 11, 2007
Florida
I wonder if turning off the lights altogether (they will have SOME degree of natural light) might not be a bad idea for renovation week as well? Let's pretend it's raining for the whole week in their little world . . . I cannot imagine that %#!?~! grout dust, mixed with tank water, being pleasant for them - or easy to clean up later for me. Thanks so much for the input!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A tank can go a week without lights. Do you have plants?? People cover completely tanks for a few days to eliminate alage.

AntyPam

AC Members
May 11, 2007
Florida

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Here's a crazy idea... go buy two air conditioner air filters that are about the same width measurements as your tank opening. Lean them up against each other like a pup tent and use tape and plastic to seal the sides and hold them apart the right distance so it rests on top of your tank. For stability tape a paint stirring stick to the base on both ends. It's a ventilated tent hood that you can remove easily to feed the fish, it breathes and stops the dust.

Aquarium Dust Filter by ZorroNet.jpg

Aquarium Dust Filter by ZorroNet.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I dunno Bruh.

Those fish look all scared to me.

AntyPam