How sensitive are air pumps to very humid areas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
My tank has a built on hood with the filter and light built into the top. I would like to add more air to the tank than the aeration provided by the power head provides. I can modify the hood so that it will accommodate an air filter about 3" x 3" x4". It will never be submersed but it will be in a very moist area - there is condensation on the bottom of the top of the hood, and may occasionally drip down onto the pump. Would this be fatal to the pump?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
RD, why do you feel you need to aerate the tank more?

IMO, it's only worth making bubbles if they're doing something, like running a sponge/bubbler filter.

Or, the rare times you'd need to heat and/or medicate the tank, where over-aeration helps.

Yeah, keeping an aquarium air pump in a wet area is a bad idea. They need to stay dry. Not only will it mess up the coil and possibly be dangerous, moisture will get into the diaphragm and cause issues.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Plus it's probably going to very noisy in that hood. I'd hide it in the stand if you have one. Anyone know of any very quiet ones?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store