tank leveling frustrations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
My sister and I are setting up my old 30 long on the sideboard in her kitchen. We have checked the level of the sideboard with a six-foot level and found we need to adjust the right end up a tad and the back just a tad as well. Then I placed the level across the length of the sideboard and found that it's bowed just the tiniest amount, just enough to let me see a sliver of the wall behind the sideboard. It's a heavy, sturdy piece of furniture of solid wood, but she got it at a yard sale and has no idea how old it is. I don't know if there's any way to tell whether the whole sideboard is slowly splaying out or if it's just a slight warp in the tabletop. Should we be fine if we level the tank and place some 3/8" neoprene under the tank, or might we cause the sideboard to slowly but surely bow more? There's no other surface for the tank to live on, and I don't really see anywhere to put a stand long enough. I'm stressing out and she's so excited about her fish she doesn't want to listen to my concerns... I was already anxious after cleaning it out and discovering the dozens of scratches that my turtle inflicted all around the bottom of the walls of the tank, which she has also chosen to not be concerned about, and I think I'm about to kill someone.... >_<

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not sure of the dimensions of your 30g, but per Aqueon's site, 30g, 30b or 33L weigh in at 343, 348, 382lbs respectively.

IMO, obviously the surface has to be supportive, but it's also got to be flat. A very small amount of off-level is OK for something smaller like a 30g. If you can live with a slightly crooked water line, all is well. For a large or TALL tank, I'd want it to be as level as possible.

Flatness of the supporting surface is a must or you risk cracking or silicone seals coming loose.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Agree with fresh. A little bit is ok. Mine have been off by 1/4 inch or a little more with no issues.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
My 30gallon breeder tank is not level. I just fill the water slightly above the bottom of the trim, and no one will ever know.

This message will self destruct in...1...2...3...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've often found that wood stands, as well as the wrought iron stands may show a few discrepancies when they are set up.

I've discovered that as long as they are pretty minute... there is no issue.. many of them will flex to fit as the weight is added to the tanks. and after checking when tanks approach full.. the stands have adjusted.
some of it I believe is engineered into the stand,.. remember, wood is live in terms of furniture, flooring etc.. it actually adjust to climate changes.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pictures of the stand and it's interior might reveal more to suggestions. If as small as you say, about the bow, I would probably lean towards a thin layer of styro below the tank. You could trim it to fit and not extend beyond the frame of the tank.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Then I placed the level across the length of the sideboard and found that it's bowed just the tiniest amount, just enough to let me see a sliver of the wall behind the sideboard.

A decent "sliver" of light could be caused by a 0.015" gap. If that is the case, then I wouldn't worry about it. One thing that I have always done though is fold up a towel properly to fit around the bottom rim of my tanks. This has always ensured good contact all the way around.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
More than tiny amounts of bowing or off level, I would be worried about the joinery in an old piece like that. If it's put together with wooden dowels and glue, it might break apart if the glue is old and dry enough to crack.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Star rider is correct. A slight bow won't matter. In leveling your stand you would have only needed to put shims in the corners if it's a cabinet style. If it has legs than it can only be under the legs anyway.
As for the glue. If it's a recent piece the modern glues are pretty good at resisting shrinkage and trying. If it's an old piece the adhesive would be more likely hide glue. It's a glue known for loosening up over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store