Beef'd up RCS tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Curtis301

AC Members
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
So I took u guys advice and beefed up my rcs tank also grabbed about 8 RCS at the aqua mania convention yesterday from MsJinxz to add to my 20+ I got from lemonnoodle (Rachel she is a doll had some cute lil Thai crabs too but I'm afraid I'd never see them in my new setup) just to keep my colony diverse !

Red Cherry Shrimp
3 Otos
4 nerites snails
3 female guppy fry
1 male guppy
( trying to design my own guppy lol have a 50 gallon rubber made tub with a bunch of guppies I let em go wild and see what colors I can get)

Moneywort
Narrow leaf java
Anachris
Crypt ?
2 swords
Nitella (not really a plant but I liked it)

I'd def appreciate any feedback to make my 29 gallon RCS tank even better :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Adding stock from Rachel always makes a tank better :D

I'd personally bump the number of Otos to at least 6. and if you're going to be breeding guppies in there, maybe just leave the stock at that as they'll be likely to take over.

Pics would help though... pics always help!

Curtis301

AC Members
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
the red rock i bought years ago from petco it was one big triangle shape rock i used in my very first tank not sure what it is exactly i think they called it rainbow rock ?? i just have broken it up over the years and used it in different tanks.

Curtis301

AC Members
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
hey dougall i don't actually use this tank to breed the guppies per say they have their run of the 50 gallon bucket, I just put the female fry in this tank to make sure they haven't been hit by a male already so i can pick the male i want with them..they won't stay in there the RCS are the main feature in this tank..i would love to add more otos but sadly I'm having trouble keeping them alive I bought 3 1 survived then i bought 3 more and 2 survived, i hear they are a lil tough to get acclimated at first tho is that true ?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
hey dougall i don't actually use this tank to breed the guppies per say they have their run of the 50 gallon bucket, I just put the female fry in this tank to make sure they haven't been hit by a male already so i can pick the male i want with them..they won't stay in there the RCS are the main feature in this tank..i would love to add more otos but sadly I'm having trouble keeping them alive I bought 3 1 survived then i bought 3 more and 2 survived, i hear they are a lil tough to get acclimated at first tho is that true ?
I guess that's what happens when you try to post and work at the same time... it looks like it took me an hour to reply.

Otos can be difficult to feed, picky eaters and all, so depending where you buy them from always look for big fat happy looking ones not the thin skinny ones that look like they could use a good meal.

I'll say to keep an eye on Rackel's stock, she frequently has them in; Also talk to her about Repashy Soilent Green food. it's gel based and you can let it set on or in aquarium decor for them to graze on; rather than competing for food at daily feeding times.

Curtis301

AC Members
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
yea maybe thats it the ones that i lose always seem to be a lil thinner the 3 i have now are nice and fat really active i like them just as much as i like the shrimp

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
yea maybe thats it the ones that i lose always seem to be a lil thinner the 3 i have now are nice and fat really active i like them just as much as i like the shrimp
so get some more.. they'll be more active and play around together too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store