My fish are afraid of a worm!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I bought some plants over the weekend...thought I had rinsed them off well enough but found a small worm crawling in my tank. I grabbed my long tweezers and unsuccessfully tried to nab it. The worm was dislodged and fell to the ground and all of the tank mates panicked. They do not respond that way to the tweezers...I am wondering if there is something to worry about? The worm is about a third of an inch long when fully extended - a nondescript white/gray/black. Right now, I have a set of boring tankmates - 2 cories, 3 hatchetfish and 2 baby plecos. Need I worry?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
:crazy: I probably wouldn't worry, but would definitely get it out if I could.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I would not worry too much. Do you know, did you see the tank the plants came from? My only two concerns would be a leach or a tapework. If you try to grab it and sections in front or back break off it could be a tapework.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
We need a more detailed description or a decent picture to provide optimal advice on your actions regarding the worm

(I sound like a freakin machine; seriously who says "optimal")

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
If it's a land-worm I'd be worried about it dying and causing an ammonia spike. Aquatic worms are usually not that bad. Pics would be nice though.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I have not seen it in more than a day - I keep my cell phone next to the aquarium to try to snap a photo...it seems to be camera shy. Is there a community friendly fish - about 1.5" long that likes to eat worms? and would be a bit aggressive in persueing one? As the plants in the tank grow, I am going to put one of the pleco's and the 2 corries in a tank at home, so a 1.5" fish would work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store