Bloated cardinal tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I noticed today when I turned on the lights on my 28 bowfront that there was a dead fish mostly devoured by the snails already and a cardinal tetra that looked quite bloated. After a quick search since I was on my way out the door it looked like the body was one of the other cardinals but I couldn't find a couple other fish as well. I will test the parameters when I get home tonight. The tank is a fairly well established low tech planted. Around 75% water changes every 1-1.5 weeks. I don't test the parameters often but when I do they're fine. The only thing I can think of right now is that both HOBs need to be cleaned pretty badly.

So without any parameters any preemptive thoughts. I would normally think it might be constipation and will try some peas tonight but the dead body makes me think it could be otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I think its something more than bloat. If it was just one fish then yes. But you have found other fish dead and missing fish as well so maybe you should search for a better cause than bloat. Possible ammonia spike or nitrite spikes. Both can be deadly if left unnoticed for too long. Any other signs of illness besides bloating?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I think its something more than bloat. If it was just one fish then yes. But you have found other fish dead and missing fish as well so maybe you should search for a better cause than bloat. Possible ammonia spike or nitrite spikes. Both can be deadly if left unnoticed for too long. Any other signs of illness besides bloating?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I don't know if the dead fish had the same symptoms for sure. All I found were snail eaten remains. And the missing fish could very easily be hiding in the plants. I didn't have a lot of time to look. I got a full count a week ago when I did a water change, no one was missing then. The one bloated fish is the only with an issue that I saw. Parameters will come later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store