Fish rant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Time for a little bit of a fish rant to blow off some steam. Some people may remember me posting a while back about my dad killing off the inhabitants of his too small, over stocked tank by not QTing, and not cleaning the tank, and not treating the fish. He has one fish left in his 29 gallon, the sole survivor. A Bala shark. It's growth is stunted, but it's still way too big for 29 gallons at around 6". And since it's alone, with school, it's really skittish. The poor thing startles at the drop of a hat and keeps slamming into the walls of the tank. It has a permanent callous on it's nose from hitting the glass so hard so many times.

It makes so sense to me to keep this fish instead of letting me rehome it and find him appropriate tank inhabitants to take it's place. I don't understand insisting on keeping a fish in an environment where it keeps getting injured over and over again. It's just cruel.

He liked the bright and colorful platys and Endlers I put in there. I promised him more fish and to clean his tank for him if he agrees not to add anymore fish. He agreed, he seems to want a tank but not have to do ANYTHING.

And I unfortunately live with my parents, this is in the sunroom off the kitchen where my plants are so it's hard to pretend it's not going on.

I have a crazy idea of asking anyone in my fish club or fish stores to let me know if anyone with a bala shark dies so I can rehome HIS fish and replace it with the dead one.

bl0wfish

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2014
It is pretty depressing. Seems like it's a common problem, for people to want to BE ************s, or writers, or whatever, but not actually have to DO anything that would earn them that status. But it's doubly tragic when living beings are involved - the dog who doesn't get taken out for walks, the bala shark that is living in such cramped conditions.

I suppose you've tried reasoning with him, but something I've found to work - not always, but sometimes - is to ask the person to imagine themselves in that situation. In this case, in a tiny, cramped room that they can't get out of. Although I don't know if your father would be the type to go along with something like that... In any case, good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store