Dojo loach and sailfin pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I'm planning on adjusting the pH in one of my larger tanks to suit African cichlids, so its going up to 8.2. My question is, will a trio of dojo loaches, and a sailfin pleco, be okay at that pH? The pleco is fairly adaptable, but will the loaches be okay? Also, can corydoras survive at that pH? Is there any other loaches that would be okay? Thanks!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The Sailfin should work, from the standpoint of parameters. Depending upon the cichlids, he may get a beating, but that's another issue from the question asked.

The Dojo, definitely not. This species needs softer water, and much lower temperatures (it is not a "tropical" fish as we generally understand the term). You are correct on intending three, as this is (like most "loaches") a highly social fish, but not with African rift lake cichlids.

Corys will not do at all well with rift lake fish. First, the hardness of the water will affect the physiology of most species (a couple will handle this). Second, most of them are not suited to this environment (fish and habitat).

As for other loaches, I am not aware of any rift-lake species but this is not my area and if there are, they might work depending. But none of the SE Asian loaches.

Byron.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Okay, good info. :) Thanks for helping me out with all my pH stuff byron... you seem very knowledgeable :) I'm not planning on keeping any of the larger species, such as peacock cichlids, but I was thinking some Tangyanika species such as shellies and julis. From my expierence, although they can be fiesty, neither of these can do much damage. What corydora species could I keep at that hardness? Are there other bottom dwellers with a body shape similar to the dojo that I could keep? The tank setup, if it matters, is sand bottom with a cave structure in the center and I would add shells for the neolamprologus multis, or similar species.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Okay, good info. :) Thanks for helping me out with all my pH stuff byron... you seem very knowledgeable :) I'm not planning on keeping any of the larger species, such as peacock cichlids, but I was thinking some Tangyanika species such as shellies and julis. From my expierence, although they can be fiesty, neither of these can do much damage. What corydora species could I keep at that hardness? Are there other bottom dwellers with a body shape similar to the dojo that I could keep? The tank setup, if it matters, is sand bottom with a cave structure in the center and I would add shells for the neolamprologus multis, or similar species.
If the Sailfin pleco is still in the picture, now that I know you have small cichlids, I wouldn't. The Sailfin attains 18 inches, and needs a 4-foot tank. I consider shellies stand-alone, in a smallish tank, aquascaped to their needs. [There is another thread on this, with some photos of a member's shellies tank.]

As for fish similar to the Dojo, as I said earlier, this is not my area of knowlege (assuming this is stillin with rift lake fish).

Corys I really would never submit to rift lake aquaria. This is just at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of aquascape, parameters and compatibility. Corys are sometimes seen as tough little guys, due to their so-called armour plating and often comical bumbling into any situation. But they are highly sensitive and delicate fish in fact, and easily stressed. The few species that might tolerate very hard water should not be subjected to it. And in the reverse, shellies would likely not be at all appreciative of corys poking around into their shells.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If you have a large enough aquarium and arent planning to breed maybe a synadontis species would work out well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store