a few questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
Hi Guys!

i have newly set up tank (6 weeks) its a 110gal TALL (48Lx 19W x 30H)

set up info:
Substrate- Safe Tsorb

Lighting: 48" Wavepoint 4 bulb T5Ho but i am only using 3 (1 ultrasun,2 florasun bulbs) photo 5 hrs a day

Ferts:

1 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp (30ml) traces 3x a week
+ root tabs (osmocote plus)

Pressurized C02 24/7
Plants;
madagascar lace plant
Banana plant
java fern
Water wisteria
Ludwigia
Brazilian micro sword
Cryptocoryne wendtii (red,bronze)
Anubias
java moss
Jungle vals

Here are my questions:
Whats happening to my wisteria and anubias?

2. Do i have to much lighting coz i think some kind of algae is growing on my driftwood

Thanks!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Don't know about what's happening to your plants but 1/2 tsp is not 30 mls. 1/2 tsp is 2.5 mls. 30mls is 2 tbls.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
What kind of fish and other inhabitants are in the tank? 5 hours is not long enough of a photo period. 8 is the minimum I would suggest. I have better luck with 12 hour cycles or 5 on / 4 off / 5 on / 14 off. (The last is a low tech way to increase CO2 without infusing it.) I noticed this in my own water wisteria when the lights were really low. I had to temporarily use alternate lighting that was nowhere near the intensity of my regular lights for a few weeks once.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave
What kind of fish and other inhabitants are in the tank? 5 hours is not long enough of a photo period. 8 is the minimum I would suggest. I have better luck with 12 hour cycles or 5 on / 4 off / 5 on / 14 off. (The last is a low tech way to increase CO2 without infusing it.) I noticed this in my own water wisteria when the lights were really low. I had to temporarily use alternate lighting that was nowhere near the intensity of my regular lights for a few weeks once.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tank inhabitants are:
Corys
bolivian ram
platys
rainbows
gourami blue/gold
serpae tetra

My tank gets a 40% to 50% ambient light during the day, i assume that since my plants get ambient lighting ill lessen the photo period,. is that a wrong assumption? :)

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
My tank gets a 40% to 50% ambient light during the day, i assume that since my plants get ambient lighting ill lessen the photo period,. is that a wrong assumption? :)
Well it's not likely the fish picking at the plants from that list. It's way more likely to be a light issue. Ambient light is far less intense than direct light. There must be a certain level of light intensity + fertilization + available CO2 for photosynthesis to take place. I could get really long-winded on this topic, so I'll let you decide how much info you want. My short response is, your plants aren't getting enough light intensity and/or duration. Duration is easily fixed by extending the photo period and seeing how they do in comparison. I can tell by the shape of the leaves that it's a light issue. Water wisteria leaves in a low light situation will be wider and less detailed. In higher light the leaves will be finer (less blobby) with finger-like tips. It's actually a very good indicator of light levels and much cheaper than a PAR meter :)

Extend the photo period, and if the new leaves don't change form in a few weeks, you have an intensity problem rather than a duration problem.

P.S. - Get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails in there pronto... they will help break down waste into ferts for the plants, and they will munch on that algae you have there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store