Do I need to start over?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
Hi bear with this newbie please.

I set up a 55gallon tank over a month ago, got it cycled with 4 platys, now I have 5 platys, 6 cory cats, a Pleco, and 6 neon tetras. I was thinking of adding two more schools of community fish. I have a modular Aqueon LED setup with two LEDs right now, though I have room for one more.

I have a few java ferns and a little mirco ferns. When I set up the tank I knew almost nothing about planted aquariums, so only put a substrate down of aquarium gravel, but now I want to get into planted aquariums. My java ferns seem to be doing OK, though they are a little brown and one leaf in particular appears to have died. It almost looks like a skeleton and I wonder if the Pleco has been damaging it. I did get the Java ferns from someone else, and they didn't come to me in the greatest shape to begin with.

If I were to get serious about this, I should have a more nutrient rich substrate underneath the gravel, right? Do I need to break down my current setup? What advice do you have in terms of lighting (get another LED bulb) and in terms of substrate C02 etc. for a beginner who has already gotten their tank in the cycling process...

Thanks.

Mark Allred

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Spring Creek, Nevada
You didn' plant the Java Ferns, did you? They need the roots exposed, tie them to wood or rock with cotton thread, and they will attach themselves.
EcoComplete, Flourish, or some such, would be better. But gravel will work with the right ferts.
Your lighting will depend on what plants you want to grow, Java Fern don't require much light.
CO2 is always beneficial.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
photo2.jpg

Here are what I think are java ferns. Can you confirm? Sorry the picture is upside down, not sure why when I add the pic in this post it's upside down. I took it rightside up, but when I insert it renders wrong. So they are planted in the substrate.

Can you give me an idea of what plants to add and what kind of lighting/fert I would need, given that I have a pure gravel substrate? I also have a bunch of micro ferns I got last week that I planted in the front. So far they seem to be fairing ok.

photo-5.JPG photo2.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Looks like Java ferns to me. They are VERY low maintenance... Your fish will fertilize them for you as they are mostly water column feeders (through the leaves). That means, you can keep it low tech unless you add something else that requires ferts or CO2. If you are wanting to combat algae, you should add some faster growing floating plants like frogbit or water sprite. You can also add some fast growing stem plants for some added height in the background if you wish. You're off to a good start... don't over complicate things and enjoy :)

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Eh... I've grown Java fern both ways. If you have driftwood or rocks, they will indeed attach themselves over time if you tie them loosely to it. As long as you don't bury the rhizome (that woody part the roots are sticking out of), they will be fine in regular gravel like you have. Maybe just give them a gentle tug to lift the rhizome out of the gravel a little.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with Dave. To your questions...the black leaf [actually frond, since this is a true fern] could be nitrogen deficiency, or it may be brush algae. Or it could be due to the move from another environment.

Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus is a slow growing plant, and thus low light requiring. I have found it to do best with shade from floating plants. Brush algae easily forms on the fronds if the light is too intense/bright. A comprehensive (complete) liquid fertilizer might be advisable. I use Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement once a week; another is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti.

I can't offer much on your light as I am not familiar with it. As for the substrate, I have for 25+ years grown plants in fine gravel or sand. There is no need to go into specialized (and very expensive) enriched substrates if you stay low-tech or natural. Same with CO2 diffusion. With the organics from fish feeding, and water changes, plus the liquid fertilizer, you are all set. Plants do have varying needs when it comes to light.

The significant issue in any planted tank is balance between light (both the intensity and duration are important) and nutrients. If these are balanced, plants will grow fine, and algae will never be problematic.

Byron.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I agree with Dave. To your questions...the black leaf [actually frond, since this is a true fern] could be nitrogen deficiency, or it may be brush algae. Or it could be due to the move from another environment
YES! :) (Byron agreeing with me is like a pat on the butt from the head coach during the Super Bowl.)

I forgot to mention that black frond in my response. I've had that happen to my java ferns after I changed its tank environment, and it should be left alone. Dying java ferns will often spawn new plantlets on these black fronds that will provide you with a well-adjusted new plant that was raised in your tank's environment. It looks vile, but trust me, it's worth it to leave it alone until it totally taps out. Free new plants make it worth the wait :)

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I bought an aquarium fern from Petco (yes Petco) and it is for sure not a java fern, but it is a very dark green and looks truly like a fern. It's getting brown algae growing on it tho, just like my ruffle leaf anubia ( I think that's what it's called), and my cryptos :)D) and mint creeping charlie and every other plant. My mini swords are too new for the algae.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I bought an aquarium fern from Petco (yes Petco) and it is for sure not a java fern, but it is a very dark green and looks truly like a fern. It's getting brown algae growing on it tho, just like my ruffle leaf anubia ( I think that's what it's called), and my cryptos :)D) and mint creeping charlie and every other plant. My mini swords are too new for the algae.
I know this is related, sort of, but you might want to start a new thread so things don't get mixed up with the original post in this one. A moderator could move these two posts for you. But I'll offer some suggestions for you as you've asked.

The "brown" algae is likely a form of brush algae. This is very common on slow-growing plants like Java Fern and Anubias, if they are in direct overhead light. These plants are low-light requiring, and shade suits them perfectly. Some good floating plants will solve this problem.

However, if this algae is increasing on other plants too, as you suggest, the light may be too much. Or you may be overdosing fertilizers. Or not performing sufficient water changes. All these things interact. Algae is always waiting to take advantage of any imbalance. As I said in the other post, achieving the balance is essential to keeping algae at bay. With some more data on your setup, I might be able to go further with this.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store