Hello Everyone!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I'm glad to be here as I find I have a hundred worries and questions as I'm starting my first Freshwater Aquarium. I've studied on the internet like a mad person about plants and fish and tempratures and stratus and cycling. etc and etc. trying to set up the perfect tank. I've already had a few of my stresses relieved by awesome information from people on this site. So thank you thank you and I look forward to more Q/A fish stuff and getting to know my fellow aquarium enthusiasts.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Sup? It's good to be a part of this group here at AC! There is a wealth of good information here and some good folks that are willing to help answer your questions and guide you in the right direction. Since this is your first tank, I would strongly suggest that you keep your set-up simple at first, then if you want to get fancy, go for it! Complicated set-ups will complicate your life and you WILL lose sleep over them LOL! Live and learn, and don't forget to think logically first and foremost :) Have fun!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Lol, so true! However, no plastic plants! :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Lol, so true! However, no plastic plants! :)
Plastic plants are a bummer :) once you find out how to care for plants along with fish the hobby becomes alot funner. What size tank are you looking into? Also what fish or invertabrates? Im sure even with all tge research youll be doing youll make a few mistakes. It happens to everyone. Just learn from your mistakes and keep on trekking! Welcome to AC and enjoy the hobby!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Well, after a few months of planning, I already have it up and running. It's a 29 gallon with live plants i.e.; creeping mint charlie, crypto's, eel grass, short swords. I have a large piece of driftwood that I would eventually like to carpet with dwarf baby tears and also am wanting some kind of red plant and an anubia and corkscrew Val. I also have lava rock which hides the airstone. I believe that my cycle has completed seeing as amonia and nitrites read zero and I have a small amount of nitrate. I already have fish. They are three very lively danios, 5 glowlight tetra, 2 juli cory catfish and one little oto. I had 3 but two died right after putting them in the tank. The third one is thriving great and munching on the brown algae on some of my plants.

I have seen the different opinions on some posts and come with a complete open mind. I also expect to get some scolding for doing a fish cycle :(

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Actually, with all those plants in there, a fish cycle is okay. I wouldn't cycle with sensitive fish like neons or anything, but really all of those plants should handle the ammonia/ammonium if they are densely planted enough. Some fast growers and/or floaters would be helpful as well.

The air stone you speak of will do more harm than good in a planted tank. It causes additional surface agitation and depletes CO2. Sorry to be the bearer of such news, I did the same thing when I first set up my tank. Live and learn :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Wow! Good to know about the airstone. I actually thought it was good for the plants. Even a small flow is bad? My filter flow is quite gentle and it doesn't seem to put out a lot of bubbles as I fill my tank pretty full. Are the fish OK if there is a stilll surface? I was worried about not enough movement at the top of the aquarium. The filter I have is a Fluval AquaClear 50, for aquariums up to 50 gals. I was going to get the 30, but thought at 29 gal it was too close to the max so got the bigger one.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It doesn't take much surface agitation to cause a gas exchange. I have been using an airstone in a tank with no filter (temporary fix I had to do), but as soon as I add a filter of any size that airstone will be turned off for the benefit of the plants. Filter ratings are like opinions... They are out there for your consideration, but they may not apply to your individual situation. Plant density is a major factor on how much filtration is needed to keep the tank healthy. Some people even have densely planted tanks with no filter at all! There does have to be water movement of some sort unless the fish are surface breathers like Bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store