Two Week old Tank, and Many Questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JBoulter

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2014
Hi there,

I have 26gal tank and it is a planted aquarium. These past two weeks I have been trying to get the nitrites and nitrates levels down: nitrates = 40ppm; nitrites = 5.0ppm. I was told at both pet stores I visited that I need to get the nitrite levels down so I can then add some hardy fish to get the cycle truly going. Yesterday I did a 30% water change in hopes this would lower the nitrites and nitrates. I have also added marine salt to the water readying the tank for fish.

Tomorrow morning I will test the water in hopes to see the levels lower. I am not sure about the ph level - it was at 7.0ppm, and now reads 7.6. I am planning to add either some white cloud minnows, ghost tetras or zebra danios to start. I am eventually planning to add algae eaters such as oto catfish or siamese algae eaters. It was recommended not to add the algae eaters until the tank is cycling. And finally, I will be adding African Dwarf Frogs.

I am hoping that I am heading in the right direction. Have read many articles about planted freshwater aquariums, and what fish do well in these. Please feel free to add anything more I may be missing or things you believe would be a better approach.

Definitely a newbies, and one that is excited about this new adventure, and wanting to make sure everything can work together. Any thoughts or questions would truly be appreciated!
Jessica

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I wouldnt recmmend adding any salt unless your treating for ich. Having salt present in a freshwater tank can harm the fish. You can remove the salt by waterchanges. Also you appear to be close to finishing your cycle. Just keep an eye out on your parameters ( ammonia, nitrites and nitrates). If you need any help, everyone is here to help so dont be afraid to ask questions.

Planted tanks are fun and can help create a better enviroment. Oh yeah, any pictures? We love pictures :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Welcome to the wonderful world of planted fish tanks.

Nitrites (with the "i") are highly toxic at very small levels, less than 1 ppm, so yes, this has to read zero. Nitrates are not as toxic short-term, but long-term they can seriously affect fish health and they should never be above 20 ppm, and preferably no higher than 10 ppm; in a planted tank this should be normal once it is established.

Have you tested your source water (tap or well) for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? These can be present in tap or well water, which is a very different issue. And, have you been doing anything to "cycle," and if so, what? With plants, provided you have some fast-growers (floating plants are ideal here) you won't need to "cycle" anyway. I can explain further if asked.

On the pH, two possibles for it rising. First, what is the pH of the tap water? Remember to out-gas CO2 when testing tap water; do this by shaking some tap water very briskly for several moments before testing, or let it sit out overnight. Second, if there is something calcareous in the tank, it could raise pH and the GH (general hardness) too. Rock, gravel or sand would be possible sources of calcium.

You do not want to be adding salt of any sort in a freshwater tank. There are no benefits (except when used in high levels for certain disease/parasite issues) and many fish, including those you have mentioned, will be impacted negatively by salt.

To the fish, you have some issues. The Siamese Algae Eater I would forget; this fish grows to six inches, and should be in a group. There is insufficient space in a 29g for this, even just one which I wouldn't recommend anyway. Otos are fine, but yes, wait until you have algae, after 2-3 months, or they may starve.

White Cloud Mountain Minnows are cooler water fish, so you may want to rethink these. I'm not sure what the ghost tetra might be...any other names? No experience with the ADF, but have read that fish may nip at them.

Given the tank space, you might want to look at quieter fish, meaning less active swimmers. These will allow you to have more fish per volume, which is perhaps more interesting, depending how you view it.

Byron.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
About the African Dwarf Frogs.. They do nip at fins if they don't get fed sufficiently. And if they are fed properly, even overfed, they still fin nip. It's the reason I'm getting rid of mine. My betta has never shown aggression until recently because he can't even rest without the frogs bothering him.

JBoulter

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2014
Thanks for replying so quickly. I will not add anymore salt - unfortunately, I listened to the fish tech at each pet store, and added one scoop (Tablespoon). I will not add anymore, and will do another water change shortly (usually 10% of the water). This morning I tested and my results are the following: ph - 7.6; Ammonia - 2.0ppm; Nitrite - 5.0ppm; Nitrate - 80ppm. If the cycling is close to finishing, fantastic.

I am seeing more brown algae on my plants, and will keep monitoring the growth. Any suggestion while my tank is cycling to combat this algae?
I did read up on fishless cycling of tanks - adding pure ammonia (2.9ml/for 26gal/98L tank) or to use a bit of crushed fish food flakes or finding gravel from an established disease free tank for seeding the filter system. Not sure if I do need this approach or not.

Thanks again for responding,

Jessica:)

JBoulter

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2014
Thanks, your info is extremely helpful - I am new to both planted and fish aquariums. The substrate I used is in layers - nutrients on the bottom, then sand and then small gravel. Easier for the rooted plants to take hold.

I will be testing my water source - Calgary, Alberta is known for hard water so am trying to compensate for this. Again, I will not be adding any more salt - next water change should take care of that.

I appreciate the info on the Siamese Algae Eater - will look into an oto cat instead. I will also reconsider the White Cloud Mountain Minnows, though I am keeping the water temp. at 72 degrees F. Quieter fish seems a excellent idea - do not want to over stalk my tank.

Again thank you for your response,

JBoulter

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2014
Thanks for the heads-up. Did not realize the ADF were that aggressive. Will rethink adding these to my aquarium.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
What substrate did you use? It seems to be leaching out ammonia. This is a common occurrence.

Brown algae on a new tank is normal. Just rub it off with your hands before doing a water change. Once the cycle is complete nerite snails around the best for this type.

It you have excessive light for the plants you are trying to grow it will turn into an algae disaster. What light do you have and how long is it on for?

Unless your keeping very delicate species (discus etc..) keeping the nitrates below 60 is good. Lots of water suplies have 20-30ppm of nitrates already. Shooting for the 20-40ppm range will do the trick. Old tank syndrome will have nitrates in excess or 200ppm.

The key to keeping fish and growing plants is patience. Just give it time to balance and it will work out.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Jessica:

Looks like the tank is cycling (Nitites). Once the Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero, you are ready to add fish. IMO--The ADF are not aggressive, almost blind, but not aggressive. My daughter has 2 ADFs in a small tank with guppies==no problems. I am more worried about the frogs getting enough food for themselves.

I love your name!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store